Buying Cotournix quail in Alabama

Doubletap

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 17, 2009
I live in Birmingham Alabama and I'm interested in starting a little flock of cotournix quail. I want to buy adult or almost adult birds. What should I expect to pay per bird and where can I get them?

Depends ,who and where. I paid 1 for week olds. I charge $2.00 for adults for dog trainers. I would expect to pay anywhere from $1.00 to $3.00 each. But you may luck out if you have a poultry auction nearby, some of those go cheap.

I will have adults in 8 more weeks but none now. I check the site daily and if I have any later I could sell you a few.

Hey thanks...I' m hoping to build a coup this weekend but they way thinks are going it could be eight weeks before I'm ready.

I charge $1 for coturnix up to 1 week old.
anything over one week old i get $2 each.
I have about 60-70 about 6-9 weeks old if anybody is interested
and have 120 in the incubator due on the 15th.

When you say a "small flock", what numbers are you looking at? I have between 110 and 125 and consider that a small flock. When I sell adults I get $3 each and normally sell 3 hens and 1 roo as a breeding group. Mine are kept in all wire cages, 2 ft. x 3 ft., and I keep 12 birds to a cage.

Kenneth

I think I'm going to start with 10. I don't see myself ever having more than 30 but you never know.

I'm in the process of moving and will probably move my birds within the next week. I'll likely thin down to around 100 so could help you out. 9 hens and 3 roos should do fine in 2' x 3' pen. I feed 22% protein layer pellets and 12 birds will go through about 1 quart a day.

One word of warning, I started with a dozen. Now one freezer shelf full of quail, about a dozen pints of pickled eggs, around 400 eggs in the fridge, untold amount of eggs (guessing 600 to 700) given to a friend, and if I weren't moving I'd be building pens and incubating eggs. Chickens aren't additive, QUAIL ARE!!!!

Kenneth

Back
Top Bottom