Buying day old chicks online...quick question

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by go-veggie, Jul 7, 2008.

1. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Just curious...besides mypetchicken.com, is there any other site I can order chicks from where there is no 25 chick minimum order? With mypetchicken.com, you pay extra for the heat pack, but there's no large minimum and it's supposed to be safe for the chicks. Thanks for your help!

2. chicken quartet

chicken quartet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    Yes! I just placed an order from Ideal Poultry. This is my first time ordering chicks online. Mine should ship out on July 16th. They only require that you spend $20. I got out A LOT cheaper than My Pet Chicken, whom I was going to place an order with. I'm getting 9 day old pullets and paid $34. Definitely check them out!

3. chicken quartet

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    OMG!! I just hatched!!! Yeah me!!! Cheep, Cheep!!! LOL:lau

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I bought 8 standard's from Ideal last year, and asked for no packing peanuts - got what I ordered!

They were shipped at the beginning of August last year, so the heat wasn't bad and it wasn't freezing cold either.

5. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Thanks for the replies! [​IMG]
    I just read that Ideal might throw in male chicks for warmth in a small order...yikes...is that true?

6. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Got mine from Meyer. They do small orders and throw in a heat pad, but the shipping cost goes up.

7. chicken quartet

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    yeah, I'll probably get some male chicks in my order as "packing peanuts". I don't mind though. If I get any extra roos, I'll just give them away.

8. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

I'm so thankful I found a great home for my two 8 week old roos! I hate to see them go tomorrow, but they are going to a super home! (thanks to freecycle.org) This lady, only a few miles from me, replied to my ad right away and is surprising her daughter with them because her beloved rooster died a few months ago. I have one roo left and I am not sure I could find many more homes for roos...although I did get an email from someone who does 4 H and could take one or two. I'll check Ideal and Meyer too-thank you all!

9. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    If you do not want the "packing peanuts" all you have to do is Add a note on to your order saying you Do NOT want males for warmth. Simple as that.

10. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Ok, great! Do the chicks really stay warm enough? Do you think if I ordered 3-5 of them that they'd do alright in shipping?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by