Buying dried Meal worms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TylerJ, May 26, 2016.

1. TylerJ

TylerJ Just Hatched

Feb 17, 2014
    Hi all,

I've been a lurker and have a small flock of hens. I tried raising meal worms, bought a lot from Rainbow Mealworms, and just didn't seem to get the process right to raise them. So, I was looking at getting some dried meal worms. Has anybody tried these? My hens and chicks loved the live ones... do they go as crazy for dried meal worms?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E0I9DIM

Thanks!

2. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    My chickens love dry mealworms.

3. Aquarices

Aquarices Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    Happy Hen Treats was what I tricked my girls into loving me with. They come running as soon as I open the shed door behind where they are stored. I bought the freeze dried mealworms because only one of my Cochins likes live worms. So she gets extra live worms when I have them and they both go crazy for the dired ones too.

4. mcbrown7513

mcbrown7513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2015
    Southern Mississippi
    I have never used Amazon for that. I get mine from Tractor Supply Company. Over priced for the money, but I have not been able to start growing my own

5. JaysGirl

JaysGirl Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Small town NC
    I just bought some dried mealworms at TS and while there I decided to look in the "regular" bird section and they had a huge tub for almost half the price of the little bag in the "chicken" section. I couldn't believe it. Goes to show how bad they stick it to you when it's a specialty item. My chicks at 2 wks don't care for them all that much but I will keep trying:)

6. hensandmorehens

hensandmorehens New Egg

Jul 12, 2016
    Kennewick wa
    My hens don't like them. I have tried. But the do love their block of goidies.

7. JaysGirl

JaysGirl Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Small town NC
    What is "goidies"?

8. hensandmorehens

hensandmorehens New Egg

Jul 12, 2016
    Kennewick wa
    sorry goodies. I bought them a big block for chickens to peck at they love it.

9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My chicks love dried mealworms, Even the sight of the container gets them to come running. I use them as bribery to get them in the coop at night, and to get them to come over so I can pick them up for a daily health check.

10. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Also take a look at dried black soldier fly larvae - I found them to be a tad bit cheaper and "made" in the USA. Girls *love* them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by