buying eggs in winter time?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pedenes, Nov 28, 2008.

1. pedenes

pedenes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2008
    im planning to buy some hatching eggs from a breeder maybe tom or next day

is it good or it will be just a waste

because of the weather outside?

by delivering it

i live here in upstate new york and the its getting cold now

and also i have a hova bator with egg turner

any one??

please

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Its really up to you !! Where is the breeder located ?? Sometimes fertilty drops in the winter for chickens so that could be an issue also. If the temps are like 30 and the shiped eggs sit at the PO and get cold and freeze dont think that would be good.

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I would get the eggs from someone local. As swtangel321 stated, shipped eggs can freeze and then they are worthless. The next question is, how and where do you plan on keeping them until they are four months old? If you have a barn where a heated brooder could be placed you are good to go. If you have to keep them in the house, that is a full time job keeping the brooder clean. If you don't the smell will drive you out.

4. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:The smell and the constant peeping...

5. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    you had to say that didn't you? I got 4 of em that I hatched out from my last fertile eggs and am wishing I changed it out today but had other chores to attend to. And my computer is right next to em.

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Good advise so far, would add if the shipper can make sure temps, are around 40 or above on both end would be ok.

Great thing about hatching now they will be laying age come May.

7. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:I don't see how the shipper can make sure the temps are ok for shipping on the buyers end? If you are buying eggs from an auction the seller is collecting them at the end of the auction and they aren't getting any fresher by waiting. We leave it up to the buyer, it's still warm here, temps above freezing and we figure the buyer knows what is going on at their end.

Steve in NC

8. pedenes

pedenes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2008
    thanks all

appreciate it so much

maybe i will pass and wait till next spring

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i would rather take my chances with the cold,, then the heat,, the heat will kill them faster then the cold will.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:That is very true. Eggs sat on a porch in 90 degree weather will pretty much be useless after a couple of hours. If they are left in 30 degree weather, but are packed well, they will probably be fine. And I pack them well just in case that happens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by