buying eggs on line . . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatyTheChickenLady, May 17, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Well, I ordered eggs from 4 different fellow BYCers. I made sure first that they could all ship them that day to arrive at the same time to fill my empty incubator.
    Hmmm . . .
    only two of the four made an effort to live up to that agreement once they were paid. One guy said something came up and he could send some the next week and the other girl said someone else was posting for her (?) and she would send my money back (hasn't happened).
    Of the the two that arrived on time one was packaged beautifully, and one had twenty six eggs (2 extra) wrapped individually in thin foam and dropped into a plastic grocery sack that was put in the box with newspaper. The box was in great shape no sign of damage but several eggs had banged up against each other and broken, just do to poor packaging.
    This isn't a rant, I just want to remind everybody who is out there buying eggs with money that is really tight right now, that not everyone is as careful as the next person and that there are those taking advantage even on a friendly web site like this.
    Gosh sorry if I sound like an old sour puss.

2. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
  3. wildwitchy

wildwitchy Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    That is a very poor show. [​IMG]

You should name and shame the people who took your money without delivering the goods - I would. [​IMG]

4. Hi Katy!
    You don't sound like a soup-puss, just someone with unreal expectations.
    Coordinating four egg shipments doesn't seem like a big deal, but as you found out --- stuff happens.

One guy said something came up and he could send some the next week

Most egg sellers will go out of their way to get eggs out if you are on a 'timeline' --- if eggs are available.
    The hens aren't machines and don't give XXX amount of eggs a day.
    one was packaged beautifully

Good for those. I hope they all hatch for you.
    one had twenty six eggs (2 extra) wrapped individually in thin foam and dropped into a plastic grocery sack that was put in the box with newspaper. The box was in great shape no sign of damage but several eggs had banged up against each other and broken, just do to poor packaging.

Sounds like the seller had the right 'wrapping and packing' theory, but inadequate materials.When packaging eggs, you have to think of the points that might possibly 'boink' together and break.
    I'd explain the situation as nicely as possible and as if they could resend the eggs because so many were broken.
    the other girl said someone else was posting for her (?) and she would send my money back (hasn't happened).

That's weird that 'someone else' was posting for your seller, but I hope your funds are refunded timely.

Good luck!​

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Even if they had all sent the eggs at the same time, there are no guarantees that all the eggs would arrive at the same time. I have had a few shipments that have taken over a week to get to me, and I had 1 shipment that I sent that took about 10 days to get to its destination. Priority mail should take 2-3 days, but there are no guarantees.

As stated before, there is now a positive/negative feedback section, though there are no guarantees with that either. It would give you a better idea of the seller's reputation, but it is not fool-proof. You should also do a search of the seller's name, to see how many times they have sold/shipped eggs, and also ask the seller specifics of how they package their eggs for shipment.

As Lisa stated, the key to shipping eggs is to make sure they don't bump anything hard, without being protected. This could be the sides of the box, or other eggs. They should be packaged firmly inside the box, and individually wrapped in bubble wrap, or wrapped in an egg carton so they don't move. Personally, I don't like the egg carton method, it seems I almost always have broken ones when they arrive!

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience, but I hope the eggs you did get hatch well for you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by