Buying Eggs Online

TheRealTimShady

Crowing
12 Years
May 23, 2011
Apollo, PA
OK so i'm just starting to get into quails, i'm gonna go across town to this guy that sells coturnix and probably pick up 3 from him to start out with. but i'd really like some off variety birds, maybe a button or 3. something different. i was wondering who has bought eggs online and what kinda success have you had as far as broken or just "shaken up" eggs that make it into chicks

one other thing, i'm assuming you can have different varieties of quail in the same cage and they will be fine, am i right in my assumption?

Last edited:
Different quail= different pens. Buttons are too small to be with larger quail. They also do much better in pairs.

I have bought lots of eggs on the internet and have some good hatches and some bad. I would say about 50% average.
smile.png

I just ordered eggs online from Cooper's Quail Farm off Ebay. All arrived safely and 28 out of 31 hatched. If you have any worries about getting eggs through the mail you shouldn't. Just make sure the person you are ordering from is experienced with shipping eggs. Also, don't waste a trip for 3 Coturnix. Atleast get what you can afford or max out your cage. I promise you that those 3 will quickly not be enough. And, if I was you I would go for a different species. Coturnix are ugly, boring little creatures (sorry) and sell for about the same price as day olds or full grown (not much more than a dollar or so). If you don't like their meat, they are virtually worthless. Get something big enough to eat and enjoy (like bobwhites) and then you could also sell them to hunters. Coturnix are a money pit- nobody wants them cuz they aren't good for anything. JMO. Ya'll coturnix folks don't hit me too hard lol.

Sorry, but I love my sweet little Coturnix.

My hatch rate on shipped eggs (buttons and Coturnix) ranged from about 25% to about 60% last year, IIRC. They all came during the summer, when it was hot, so that didn't help.

B. Kossum :

I just ordered eggs online from Cooper's Quail Farm off Ebay. All arrived safely and 28 out of 31 hatched. If you have any worries about getting eggs through the mail you shouldn't. Just make sure the person you are ordering from is experienced with shipping eggs. Also, don't waste a trip for 3 Coturnix. Atleast get what you can afford or max out your cage. I promise you that those 3 will quickly not be enough. And, if I was you I would go for a different species. Coturnix are ugly, boring little creatures (sorry) and sell for about the same price as day olds or full grown (not much more than a dollar or so). If you don't like their meat, they are virtually worthless. Get something big enough to eat and enjoy (like bobwhites) and then you could also sell them to hunters. Coturnix are a money pit- nobody wants them cuz they aren't good for anything. JMO. Ya'll coturnix folks don't hit me too hard lol.

WOW,Somebody hate'in on the corts!!! If you don't like to eat dove, you most likely wont like coturnix. Similar IMHO... You can dress it up and wrap in bacon with honey glaze, it's still gonna taste like a cort. If I never ate one thou, I'd still keep them for the eggs. I love'em pickled and they are the kings of egg production, or queens as it were... I don't feel there ugly. They are friendly little spuds that look forward to see'in me , not like the BObs who only fear the hand that feeds them. But we all have opinions, there's mine...Bill​

YOU'RE ALMOST CORRECT ON THE BOBS THERE BILL....KEEP PUTTIN' YOUR HANDS IN THEIR PEN MONKEYING AROUND WITH STUFF AND EVENTUALLY YOU'LL FIND THAT ANGRY IS THE NEXT STEP IN THEIR BEHAVIOR LADDER
smile.png

COME TO THINK OF IT AFTER THE RIDE YOURS TOOK THIS WEEK THEY MIGHT ALREADY BE ON THAT RUNG...
lau.gif

Last edited:
B. Kossum :

Coturnix are ugly, boring little creatures.

I like Coturnix. Very productive little critters. Boring means they ain't drama queens.

Mama said dem Bobwhites is ub da Debil. She said they peck your toes off, even through yo shoes. That's what Mama said.​

Quote:
I like Coturnix. Very productive little critters. Boring means they ain't drama queens.

Mama said dem Bobwhites is ub da Debil. She said they peck your toes off, even through yo shoes. That's what Mama said.

Coturnix = Awesome

Back
Top Bottom