Buying Feed from a Mill?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ElioraImmanuel, Aug 22, 2010.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    We now live in the country. What do I look for when looking for a Mill? Grain Dealer? Grain Mill?

When I find a mill, what do I tell them I need? I have 45 layers ranging in that are between 11 and 14 weeeks old. They free range all day. We're on 5 acres.

How much food/per bird/per day should they be eating? It seems that when there is a lot of feed available...they get lazy. When there is a limited amount they really, really range.

TIA

2. 3dogs

3dogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    southern CA
    There is a feed mill near me with a 5 ton minimum for customizing a feed for individuals. They produce many kinds of feed for poultry, horses, cats and dogs that are packaged in 25 or 50 pound bags and sold in area feed stores. You might want to find out the minimum amount of feed they will produce for you if you don't like their current offerings.

3. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    So, do I ask for bulk feed? Right now I get the Flock Raiser and I'd like to find a less expensive, better grade feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by