1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buying Feed Online?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bacchus, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Bacchus

Bacchus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Does anyone know where is a good place to buy feed online for cheap? Sorry if this topic has been covered, I already did a search but couldn't find it.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Murray McMurray sells some chicken feed according to their catalog. Randall Burkey does too, the organic stuff.
    Unless you're feeding just a few birds I imagine the cost of shipping would kill ya.
    I buy at least a 100 lbs. a month for 15 chickens right now. I wouldn't even want to know the shipping on that weight.

3. Bacchus

Jan 9, 2009
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Surly you have a feed store simi close to you?

5. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    cheap and online???no way

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:LOL shipping will kill you, I don't know anybody who has bought bulk feed online.

AL

7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I buy bagged organic feed in bulk online. Ordering just a few bags at a time was too expensive ($25 feed + $20 shipping [​IMG] ), as long as I can place a large enough order the shipping becomes very reasonable -- but that means over 1000 lbs per order.

Since feed is generally sold in 50 lb bags, even if you could order "regular" (inexpensive, not organic) feed online the cost of shipping would still be close to $20 per bag. Surely there must be a feed store somewhere within $20 worth of gas from where you are.....

8. Bacchus

Jan 9, 2009
    Thanks for the info, everyone! I looked through various sites and came to realize that shipping cost is a deal killer like many previous posters have said. I guess my best deal is to get feed from my local feed stores. Thanks again!

9. JaceTx

JaceTx Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Look around at some decent size farming towns and check there. Then when you happen to drive through stock up. I save 4 dollars a bag for laying mash that way.

10. paggsy503

paggsy503 New Egg

Feb 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by