Buying first incubator...where to start for small scale hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Stef in Davis CA, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Stef in Davis CA

Stef in Davis CA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    Hello BYC,
    I'm hoping to buy my first incubator and try my hand at hatching my first eggs (well...I had a broody red laced wyandotte and she hatched out a brood of 8 for me!).
    Any suggestions for the brand or model that would work well? I want to hatch small batches of 6-14 eggs for fun and to sell/give away as chicks to the neighborhood in spring...I already have my limit of 6 hens but want to practice hatching for when we have more space.
    My house is cold, so I need something that's fairly reliable about maintaining a high temp, and I want a model that has an automatic egg turner.
    I was looking at Hovabators and Little Giants since they were in my price range ($150 max) and was thinking in particular about the GQF Model 1588 with Auto Turner 1610.
    Ideas? Things I should consider when buying?
    Thanks!

2. beclu727

beclu727 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Dacula, GA
    I know its probably over your budget, but the Brinsea Octagon Eco 20 is what I bought. It is hard plastic instead of styrofoam and keeps temp and humidity really well. Its on sale right now at the brinsea web site. I got it on sale last year, got the cradle turner also. Just love it. Put Easter Egger eggs in it today. It holds a max of 24 chicken eggs, so really in the range of the # of eggs you want to hatch. There are a lot of threads here about the brinsea bators on this forum. [​IMG]

3. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Stef in Davis, CA :

Hello BYC,
    I'm hoping to buy my first incubator and try my hand at hatching my first eggs (well...I had a broody red laced wyandotte and she hatched out a brood of 8 for me!).
    Any suggestions for the brand or model that would work well? I want to hatch small batches of 6-14 eggs for fun and to sell/give away as chicks to the neighborhood in spring...I already have my limit of 6 hens but want to practice hatching for when we have more space.
    My house is cold, so I need something that's fairly reliable about maintaining a high temp, and I want a model that has an automatic egg turner.
    I was looking at Hovabators and Little Giants since they were in my price range ($150 max) and was thinking in particular about the GQF Model 1588 with Auto Turner 1610.
    Ideas? Things I should consider when buying?
    Thanks!

I just bought my first bator the 1588 with turner got the first batch of eggs in 20 eggs. It's the easiest thing to operate. Just plug it in and follow diections. No monkeying with the heat it comes preset. Mike​

4. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Quote:This is a really nice little incubator. I also have the Mini Eco manual which holds 7-9 eggs and has just hatched 2 Ameraucans for me. I love that little incubator. The eco manual is nice as you don't have to turn each egg, just the bator and it works great. (I was concerned about that but several people here had used it and really gave it high marks.)

5. countrychics

countrychics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    south boston virginia
    even the hovobator ... model can be purchased from tractor supply... and can purchase the auto egg turner can be a wonderful 1st incubator....all for under 100.00... yes it is still air but the key to any bator is to put it in a consistant temp room...and use a digital temp/hydromometer... that lays on the top of the eggs...and literally rides along..not disturbing the hatch.. i have big commercial units, but have personally had just as much success with this unit..egg turner holds 42 eggs...in which you dont have to fill completely..but considering a 50 percent hatch rate is good for shipped eggs.....would yield 21 chicks....you may also get mixed breeds, egg varieties, and bantams cheaper, and as you seem to want a fun project to give birds away....why not hatch more chicks in an incubator that costs less than some of the smaller ones....just pull out the red plugs before hatch to increase oxygen for developing chicks...... ive hatched emu, ducks, guineas, quail, geese...and so on in this unit...with great results...despite what some ppl say...the key is constant temp, not near window, door, air vent,,,,,,, and don't open until you need to add water...which you can see by looking in the clear 2 windows on the top of the unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!goodluck! and have fun.........dana;)

6. Chipper

Chipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Washington County, NY
    I have the 1588 w/autoturner and love mine.Temperature is always right on the money and very easy to use. [​IMG]

7. Stef in Davis CA

Stef in Davis CA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks everyone for the input! I checked out the models you suggested and they look great! Now I know what to request for my birthday next month [​IMG]

8. gjfarm

gjfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Montana
    I have a Little gGant and Hovabator. Keep them in a spare bathroom with the heat on to help keep the temperature constant. Sometimes drape a towel over them (not covering air holes) to avoid drafts when the bathroom door is opened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by