Buying from a breeder or hatchery?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Garden Gal, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Hi guys,

I'll be ordering my first chicks soon and wanted opinions on if you suggest dealing with a hatchery or should I try to find a good breeder (and how to do so??).

McMurray Hatchery has been recommended, but I just read a post where someone had recommended using a breeder.

Any thoughts?

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    I've done both....there are pros and cons to each but I must say if I go with a breeder I can see the flock first hand and have a better idea what I'm getting. But, that said, I won't buy from just any old breeder either. I have found excellent breeders that are in my State from BYC.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I'm a big fan of ideal hatchery but they are only 2 hrs away and i will always pick mine up. I lost 2 of my first bunch that was shipped. I picked up my second order and have had no losses, the chicks didn't stress, only one or two slight cases of pasty butt and they seem to be growing faster and healthier. Good Luck with your decision and i know you will enjoy your chicks. BTW Welcome to BYC

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    I will be getting my first chicks tomorrow. I am getting mine from Meyer Hatchery. They are only about 2 miles away from me so I can just pick them up. I would suggest somewhere that is willing to answer any questions whether it be on the phone or in person. Meyer employees took a lot of time on 4 separate occasions (I'm talking a minimum of an hour each time) to talk to me and show me different things. They also gave me suggested reading that has been very helpful.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

You should first know that any person with two chickens who possess the proper parts can call themselves a "breeder." You should also know that Hatcheries on average supply less than quality chicks, as far as "type" goes. So it depends on what you are wanting your birds for.

If you want them for the pure pleasure of owning chickens, hatcheries and 'backyard breeders' are the route to take, as you'll usually get birds for a fairly affordable rate.

If you want higher quality birds, or birds to show, look for a professional breeder who specializes in the breed you choose. These may be a little more expensive, but you will usually always be assured quality and 'type' when purchasing.

As with anything research the place or person you are buying from, ask them to see the flock if possible (not always due to biosecurity), and by all means ask for references from past buyers!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  6. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I have read a lot of negative posts about Murray McMurray here on BYC. But I personally had very good customer service from MM and my chicks are really thriving. I did loose some chicks enroute but after both MM and I did some investigating I found the problem to be with my local post office dorks. I also ordered them for a Feb delivery which I now know is much too early in the year for Montana, it was too cold. I have heard that lots of the hatcheries are sold out on many breeds so that may be an issue for you. If you post a thread for Virginia breeders you may be able to find a good reputable breeder near you which could be ideal. Good luck Garden Gal!

7. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Many thanks! I'll give this a bit more research before purchasing. [​IMG]

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

There is quite a few BYC's from VA and the bordering states depending on where you are in VA.

I agree with what the others have said about hatcheries - they just raise the birds for selling, if you just want a barnyard flock that sort of looks like the breed that's the way to go.

If you want good quality or something more rare then a private breeder is the way.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by