Buying Goats??? Would you get young goats or adults???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Willow's Meadow, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    So next summer I might get goats...I really want some but I don't know much about caring for them yet. But I am reading a lot.....I want to get them for their milk. But if I did get goats for milk would I get young goats....like kids or adult females??? What would you do??? I know a really good goat breeder so if I get goats I'll probably get them from her. But what did you get for your first goats....like what age??? Would I get young goats or already milking adult females???

2. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    A well-behaved adult doe used to being milked, without a doubt.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  3. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    A well behaved 2nd or 3rd freshening doe.

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I agree older Doe used to being milked for newbie's for sure!

5. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Never had milk goats, will hopefully have some in the future, and yes... I agree with everyone- Adult doe, already milking, and tame.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The best milking goat I bought was a 4 year old doe. Get them too young and you start to get impatient, plus it is like getting a puppy for your first pet - If you're inexperienced, chances may be that it will grow up to be trouble. (our first doelings we bought were quite the trouble!)

7. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha & Merry Christmas

I have had meat goats when i was younger and crosses to Dairy goats when a Male Dairy broke the fence and breed with them. But I know that here are a couple that I have researched http://www.goats4h.com/DairyGoats.html. They have a list of Dairy type goats. Plus I know the Male that broke in and I liked the baby that was born. LaManchas and this breed also, Nubians---> A famliy friend had these kind of goats and they were really friendly!!

If you do not mind raising the young ones ho have them habituated to you first you can go that route. But you could always purchase some starter Does that are already milk-able. With a couple of younger Does to begin your herd. But just remember a doe will not produce milk unless she is bred and has a kid or two. If you start off with babies, literally, it is a chore to bottle feed every hour etc... So weened off the bottle -----> Milk-able adults would be the way to go. Especially if you are going to sell the Milk or use it for your own personal use.

Good Luck!

8. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Don't get a doe too old though. I hear most people stop breeding them at 7 so no more milk cause they can't be freshened if the can't be bred.

9. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    i have been wanting goats for a while now too!! and have been looking into both - babies and already milking or pregnant... and i cant decide...the local goat dairy is selling babies that need to be bottle fed for only $25!! they need to be bottle fed for 4 more weeks! and if DH will let me keep it in my bedroom i think i could pull it off!! [​IMG] with the 2 DDs under 3 [​IMG] no not really but maybe in a few weeks if they still have.. [​IMG] and then i wont need to keep it in my bedroom!

10. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Quote:If they are 4 weeks old (usually wean at 8 weeks) then you can give them a bottle twice a day.

Remember you need to get 2. Goats don't do well alone. So if you wanted you could get an adult and a kid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by