Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AshleyFishy

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
East Texas
I was looking at purchasing a few goslings this spring, but have the opportunity to buy a young mated pair now. Is it better to get goslings and raise them or will grown geese eventually bond with you?

I was looking at purchasing a few goslings this spring, but have the opportunity to buy a young mated pair now. Is it better to get goslings and raise them or will grown geese eventually bond with you?
I got 3 2-day-old goslings, and a year later i got a trio of geese which weren´t at all used to people. They all eat out of the bowl in my hand now, but the first 3 are just that bit easier to handle, less likely to panic if I want to pick them up for any reason. that´s all.
This year all of this lot plus one more gander produced 19 goslings that they reared, but I can pick any one of them up as I wish, and they´re now at least 4 months old.
Raising goslings is rewarding, but hard work. A mated pair will give you goslings but they do the hard work...the choice is yours!
big_smile.png

I would go for the goslings. You raise them and bond with them. I recently lost a goose and wanted to get bother for my one lonely goose. I got her a gander but he was raised with chickens and while it's cute to see him protect my chickens, he tubs away from my goose. If you raise the giibgs you know them and they know you. Plus goslings are adorable!
Let us know what you decide upon and post pics please!

There's an old saying that "You get out, what you put into it."

That being said, get the goslings. You put in the work, and they will bond to you and each other seamlessly. More importantly, you'll be able to "put them in their place" when it comes to little quirky things they do to test your authority as they grow. That way, you raise the geese that accept you as being top-dog before they are old enough to understand it's importance!

This is ESPECIALLY true with a gander. Getting an older gander leaves way too much unknown, and he may try to test you by flat out attacking you. And being nipped by a gosling is totally different than being bitten by a gander!

That being said, get the goslings. You put in the work, and they will bond to you and each other seamlessly. More importantly, you'll be able to "put them in their place" when it comes to little quirky things they do to test your authority as they grow. That way, you raise the geese that accept you as being top-dog before they are old enough to understand it's importance!

This is ESPECIALLY true with a gander. Getting an older gander leaves way too much unknown, and he may try to test you by flat out attacking you. And being nipped by a gosling is totally different than being bitten by a gander!
That´s a very good point. My gander that I bought as an adult wasn´t much used to human contact, so he´s been great. I had another 'passing through' who was raised by a woman since a gosling and was horrid.

Agree completely!

Back
Top Bottom