Buying Guinea Fowl..??

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Ekagj, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Ekagj

Ekagj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    So I'm new to this site and not sure where to post things at! I've been waiting to get guineas since last June, when I was able to get them everywhere I looked had no more until 2013. I was wondering if anyone knew where I can get them BEFORE May, eggs or keets. I've been doing research on him since June and the more I read on them the more I want them!!

I know with chickens with a light you can get them to lay almost all year and was wondering if the same is with guineas?

2. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    You can try Craigslist or ebay, but they'll be harder to find until spring. Guineas are normally seasonal layers - from spring to fall. Winter months are going to be slower. If it were me, I'd be patient and wait for spring when there are plenty to be found. They're easier to brood up in the warmer weather, too. You can start putting an order in at hatcheries for keets or eggs in, say, February or March, and get them earlier than most people.

I don't know if guineas respond to increased lighting for increased egg laying the same way chickens do. I choose to give my chickens a break since nature does the same, and I've heard the birds live longer if given an egg-laying break. I know guineas stop laying in the winter, so I go with that as well. If you want to hatch at home, fertility and egg viability is lower in the winter, too.

The experts can be of more help to you re: lighting, egg laying, etc.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ekagj

Ekagj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Ok thanks!!

4. busyh

busyh New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    I am in same boat with you. I have found I can get them in the spring from TSC. Not knowing anyone in the area, tractor supply seems my best bet. Hope to continue reading your post, I just started tonight so not sure if I am doing things right or not lol. busyh

5. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

I raise them in Piedmont Triad NC. Mine start laying early spring and I hatch all the eggs I find ;). We raise a variety of beautiful colors. PM me for more info.

6. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    OoOoOoOoOhhhh what colors are you breeding/hatching now Tar??? I need pics!!!

7. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Peeps! I am hatching Purples, Pieds, Pearls and Lavenders. That's what my locals want,. Nothing right now. Waiting for breeding season. Keep in touch!! I hatch a bunch once it starts going!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  8. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    I set about 50 eggs to incubate last spring, and 32 hatched in 24 hours. It was like popcorn! No one got any sleep and I was almost as excited as I was when my last grandson was born - well, that may be an exaggeration LOL. I can't wait for this spring when I can gather eggs again and get an assembly line going. Tar, my locals want darker guineas for the most part too - Royals and Pearls, I'm introducing them to the joys of Chocolates and Buffs this coming spring, but I'd love to have some Royal Purple eggs to hatch. I may buy some.

I'm in North GA, btw. How far are you from the N Ga border? PM me if you're interested in talking about eggs. I have some beautiful Chocolates.

9. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA

10. Ekagj

Ekagj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    awesome thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by