Buying hatching eggs advice

Porterfive

Songster
12 Years
Sep 12, 2007
Collinsville, MS
Hi,
I have my incubator ready and plan to buy some hatching eggs. I want to get about 24 eggs, rhode islands reds or buff opringtons, or combo of both.
I had planned on buying them mail order but am concerned about the quality of buying them this way. I recently read that the shipping process can be fatal to the eggs. We live in Mississippi and it's starting to get hot so I hope the Post office doesn't leave the box on the door step while I'm at work.
Can anyone tell me experiences or advice on getting them this way?
Also if anyone knows anyone realiable that has the eggs I need please feel free to let me know.
Thanks in advance. Jenny

Anytime you buy shipped eggs it's a gamble. No getting around it. The shipping process is hard on eggs, and then of course incubation can be tricky, shipped eggs or not! That said, if you buy from someone reputable who is sure to send you fresh, well-packaged eggs, you can have a sucessful hatch. Just don't be disapointed that all of your eggs won't hatch. Though many of us have had good luck and great hatch rates with shipped eggs, 30% is about average --take anything over that as a bonus!! I would buy eggs as soon as possible--it is going to be getting far too warm to ship soon. If you are worried about them sitting on your porch in the heat, as the seller to mark your package "Hold and call for pick up" with your phone number on the box--if you are one of the lucky people who's post office is nice to them, your post office will call you when the package arrives and you can go pick it up there. Saves a few bumps on the way to your house with the postal carrier and solves the problem of the eggs sitting on your doorstep all day!

There is a topic stickied to the top of the Buy/Sell/Trade forum that is nothing but positive feedback on BYC sellers. The first post is a running list of those sellers here that have had positive feedback. Check there for what you are looking for! You can also post a "Wanted" topic on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom