Buying hatching eggs, how many unfertilized is normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rockporters, May 24, 2019.

1. Rockporters

Rockporters Chirping

Apr 9, 2019
    New Hampshire
    I bought a dozen hatching eggs from someone on Craigslist. $20, and 100% were fertilized.

I bought 2 dozen (received 28) from a show/breeder. $100, and only 56% were fertilized. With 2 quitters, I only have 16 out of 28 eggs going into lockdown this weekend.

When buying hatching eggs, approximately how many fertilized eggs should I expect to receive per dozen? I’d like to have a better idea of how many I should buy next time. Thanks!

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Are you basing fertility on whether they started to develop? Were they shipped?

3. Rockporters

Rockporters Chirping

Apr 9, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Yes, I guess I was basing it on whether they stayed clear or had development. 16 of the eggs were picked up in person (11 developed, 2 of those recently quit), 12 of the eggs were shipped (7 developed)

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Crowing

Jul 19, 2015
    Coastal Bend, TX
    With shipped eggs you can't use that as an indicator, really. The egg could be scrambled or x-rayed or otherwise damaged to where it can't develop even though it was fertile. With shipped eggs, I generally buy 4x the number of chicks I'm hoping for, hoping for a 50% hatch rate with 50% of those (usually fewer) being females.

5. Rockporters

Rockporters Chirping

Apr 9, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Good to know. I had hoped to pick up all the eggs, but they ended up needing a few extra days to collect the second dozen. So, I was only able to pick up the 16 in person.

Trimurtisan likes this.
  6. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Crowing

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    That's a tricky question. I ordered 6 Ayam Cemanis from someone they sent 6 and only 2 were fertile, one ended up being an early quitter so I got 1 chick. But... I ordered 10 eggs of 2 breeds they sent a couple extra and I had 9 hatch out of each so 20+ eggs and 18 babies hatch. Its really one of those things where you look for positive feedback from customers and don't count your chickens before they hatch. :jumpy

Trimurtisan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: