Buying incubator today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilDucky85, Feb 20, 2009.

1. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    This will be my second attempt at hatching eggs! I'm going to start off with a little incubator I found online, the Chick-Bator. I posted last week asking if anyone has this but no one responded [​IMG] I'm hoping it works!! Wish me luck! [​IMG]

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    how did you title your post? I read all new posts at least twice a day..

I can't see how I missed it if it was referring to incubation..

sorry, but you are not going to like that bator.. BTW that bator was covered at least 5 times in the past month.. didn't you read about it?

3. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    if it's the round yellow plastic incubator that you got it probably won't hatch!

4. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I went and checked your first 2 posts about the bator.. I am really sorry , I did not see them before.

Is that the bator that holds about 3 eggs and has a domed clear plastic top?. has a bulb like a christmas tree bulb for heat??
    If so,that is the one that is not much good..

5. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    yes!

6. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    ooopppsss. sorry missed that one to

7. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    It's okay, it happens! [​IMG]

Yes, it is the yellow one with the plastic dome top, and it only holds 3 eggs. I thought it was perfect because I only want to hatch three eggs anyway. I was wondering how it could possibly maintain any kind of moisture. I haven't ordered it yet, and now I'm unsure if I even want to. I figure its only $17 so its not devistating if it doesn't work. The reviews claim that the incubator works great for classroom use?

I'm new and still trying to figure things out. How do I find the old posts about the Chick-Bator??

8. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:my niece bought one last year for her class to hatch eggs at the school where she teaches.. they were soooo disapointed.. she gave the bator to me.. I have it somewhere in my garage.. Honestly, you could do better with any home made contraption..

add a few dollars to the money you were going to throw away on that bator and buy a Hovabator or little giant .. check on craigs list or go to your local farm supply store..

You could try a "search" to find info about the dome thing..

9. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I just looked around online and read reviews. Most of the people who left a follow up to their original review claimed they had a great hatch rate. The others claimed that 0 hatched.

Last October I unexpectedly got 2 duck eggs. I had no incubator, no knowledge, and no clue as to what I was doing! I read a few things on the Blackberry as soon as I had them. As soon as I got home, and attempted to make a homemade incubator. At this time I had no clue people actually use homemade bators, or that they even work!! I took a 10 gallon fish tank and lined it with tinfoil, then hung 2 small light bulbs on two sides and turned on the fish tanks head light. I had a hydrometer luckily so I could monitor moisture. I set the eggs on a rolled up towel on the far right corner. The eggs actually survived, and I was so surprised. After a week I accidentally killed the first egg, and a week later the next....but that's a whole other sad sad story.

Naturally I was so surprised that my 5 minute incubator worked so was almost positive a so called legitimate bator would work for sure. Now I'm torn on what to do?? I found one at a feed store for $50 but I don't want to spend that much for just a one time thing. I do trust your opinions 100% because you are all highly experienced, but wonder if there is a way to alter the cheap Chick-Bator to work better?? Please, all opinions and suggestions much appreciated right now!!!!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  10. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:what you could do is get that $50 bator and hatch your eggs and then knock of $15 and resell it.
    you should not have any trouble selling it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by