Buying Incubators?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by secuono, Sep 21, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Where do you buy them?
    What are the best ones?
    What are the differences and what is really needed for a working person?
    Any of them come under $50?
    Anything else I need to know about them?

2. Dixieangeln

Dixieangeln Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    NC/VA line
    Good question!! Ive been wondering the same thing.... [​IMG]

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I mean, I will leave the job up to the mom's, but I have one hen laying now and I'm not sure if the chicks should be raised by her out there or by me inside. >.<

4. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    I LOVE Leahy incubators if you can find them. You have to find them which is hard cause they stopped making them in the 1950s. I get an 80%+ hatch rate with them. You do have to self turn but it is so easy it will amaze you. YOu can find them on Craigslist from time to time and expect to pay between $150 to $500 depending on the size and what kind of shape it is in.

If you look at LEGG poultry, they have a great description of these incubators there.

Hope this helps.

Dave

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

There are many threads talking about incubators.....if you do a search you can find them.

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    That does not help any.
    I need to find one roughly under $50, that does everything needed, reliable & local.

7. Thundrr-Chicken

Thundrr-Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Dover, Ohio
    you'll need to watch your local craigslist ads to get one used for that price... but i dont believe there is one manufactured new that you can purchase that does everything for under $50

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:If you use the search feature and look up those threads you will get answers to each of your questions.

9. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    get you a styrofome ice chest & make one, you can do it for less than $50 & i hatched 13 out of 15 in mine its simple to make, my uncle has a $500 bator & only hatching 50%, mine is doing a lot better than that & it cost me $30, try it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Check the auctions here, check your local Craig's List and feed stores. See what's offered, research it to see if it's what you want.

With that price limit, you are unlikely to get one that has any frills. Do a search of BYC for "homemade incubators". That will save a LOT of money.

I'm not going to do all the research for you, there are already many threads about incubators that will help you. I would also like to suggest you read a lot in the Hatching topics, so you know HOW to incubate, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by