buying new farm- what exactly do I need to do to keep the neighbor dogs out

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KellyandKatie, Mar 24, 2012.

1. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I am so excited to be getting the keys to our new farm this next week!

one thing we have already learned though is that the neighbor dogs are chicken killers

We will bring our chickens with us, and in the future do plan on cows and goats and yaks and other livestock

the entire 5 acres is fenced in, but obviously not dog proof

tell me exactly what I need to build to keep the ****** dogs out

We have a dog, she is 13 and the world's best dog- great with newborn lambs and everything else

we also have four kids and there are neighbor kids too

we are open to livestock guardian dogs or animals in the future too

when I am reading threads I see " build a strong fence" help me out, what does a strong fence look like? Could someone specifically tell me exactly what it will take to keep dogs out?

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    How exciting! I have farm envy :) We're on the Olympic Peninsula, not too far from you.

If you have to put a lot of fencing up I wonder if an electric fence would be a good way to go.

Are you looking to free range your chickens? We have lots of coyotes, raccoons, eagles, and hawks so I only free range our small flock when I'm outside with them - with mace in my pocket if I remember it.

I can't remember if it's 16 or 18 gauge wire that's recommended. You can either bury it about 12" or spread it out about 18" from the run, fasten it down and then spread some gravel or dirt over it. Hardware cloth is really the best - it also keeps rats out, which is a very good thing!

How many chickens do you have? A great way to give them new grazing area every day (and keep your bug population down) is tractors. We built our first one with 2 x 2s and again used heavy gauge wire. We're almost done with our latest model and I'll post plans for it when we're done.

It doesn't seem good that your neighbor has aggressive dogs when there are children nearby. Does s/he just let them run loose?

I've met some excellent guard llamas. Bonus, you could sell their beautiful fiber.

Hope this helps - good luck!

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

[​IMG]

Now you can get the long T post mounts for electric so the outrigger posts ore not needed but this is how you keep dogs out.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    To keep dogs out you use non-climb stock fence. It has to be tight to the ground so they can't climb under and it has to be tall enough so they can't jump over.

The gate has to be closed all the time.

If you don't plan on having heavy livestock, I recommend kennel wire. It is 5 ft tall non-climb with 2 inch squares. Not heavy enough to stop a bull, but it will stop anything else. Field fence has squares large enough that smaller dogs can force their way through it. Not much can climb through a 2 inch square.

Electric fence added to regular fencing works well. All by itself electric has a problem. The animal that gets the shock is just as likely to go through it as to turn around. Animals have to be trained to electric fence and it isn't so easy to train the neighbor's dogs.

If they are used to using your property, most dogs will dig under a fence, so you have to fence in a way to prevent that. An electric wire to greet any nose that comes under the fence will work well.

5. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    get a pair of anatolian working shepherds

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Fence has to go under the ground and curve out.Something at the top too,because I had a dog climb up and over my 6 ft chain link fence(to get out).

I would SSS the dogs.No warning or fighting with the neighbors.Just take care of business if they come into the yard. Best wishes.

Enjoy the farm! I can't wait to buy one.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you don't have livestock, you don't need LGD's

With a bunch of kids around the dogs would need to be contained.

Good fencing is your best option

8. RCRIR

RCRIR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Get a donkey

9. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I'm a guard llama lover myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by