1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

buying peafowl at sale

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by peacockfarmer1, Dec 31, 2010.

1. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    what do you look for in a healthy peacock like at an auction (how do you tell its not sick by looking)
    what if its eye is swollen?? what is that
    thanks

2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I will not buy Peafowl at a auction unless I know the Breeder and still may not buy there are some big named breeders out there that I would never buy from (but that's just me), If the bird has a swollen eye it is best not to buy it. It could spread to your other birds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011
  3. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    I read on another line a few times of people lancing swollen areas on peafowls faces, even sometimes stitching it. Think it was something to do with sinuses but not sure. They would also give them medication and isolate them from other birds. I went to an auction south of Killeen, TX several months ago. They had quite a few IB peahens but I didn't stay to see what they went for. They have a bird auction once a month. A neighbor said he once saw some nice colorful peas go for $25/30 while attending that auction. Douglas and I have bought birds from the owners private stock. I just bought a Java peahen he raised from one of his breeder pairs (or so I was told, LOL). Even tho I trust it's healthy, I've had her in a seperate pen for a couple weeks and wormed her. I guess there are all kinds of diseases that could be carried in from a new bird but I had a big breeder tell me he used to worry about all that when he first got started in the business. He gave it up and hasn't had any more problems with illness then he had before. Maybe he's just been lucky. I've bought and introduced a few peas to my flock and had 2 Spalding hens show up out of the blue. Fortunately I've had no bad situations arise. Wild birds carry all sorts of diseases and we can't do anything about them. Most of my peas free range....I believe they stay healthier and build up immunities.

I wouldn't purchase a bird that is obviously ill. The owner if not treating it should give it to you.

4. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Couple of things that you should look for if buying from an unknown breeder. Birds should be active! If the bird is lethargic do not buy, example: if my kids are helping me in the pens and they can walk over and just catch one real easy, I look for a problem with the bird. Now some birds are very friendly, but ask to hand feed them if they are so easy to catch, use bread, cat food, or grains. If they eat then they are probably OK. Lift the bird up if possible (wear gloves). If the bird has no weight then something could be wrong. Feel the breast muscle, although not large like a chicken or eating bird, you should be able to feel muscle and not just bone. I lift my birds from time to time just to check them. Peafowl can be prone to sinus infections in certain conditions and this will result in a swollen side of the face. Do not buy them due to your needing to medically treat them as soon as you get them. Now lancing a birds eye is the last, last resort for the sinus infections, NEVER buy that bird at auction, but the post is not about treatment so.... I would hesitate to buy birds that ran directly with chickens, seller can have chickens, but they should have a physical separation. At auctions it is trickier, look at the mood of the bird, it should be active and on alert with so much going on around it. The bird with the closed eyes, ruffled feathers and crouched down look is the bird not to but. Its always a risk, but its a judgment call. Quarantine the bird once you get it so that any disease or problem can become evident before placing it in with your flock. This will prevent spread of any carried disease to your flock. NPIP breeders have annual testing of their flock for certain diseases, pullorium, avian influenza etc.. so this may give some credibility, but don't rely solely on this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by