buying pullets from two different places?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dannifer, Aug 19, 2011.

1. dannifer

dannifer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    I recently bought two chickens for my backyard coop and that's really all I have room for. But now I am pretty sure one of them is a cockerel instead of a pullet so I am going to have to get rid of it. My question is, is it ok for me to keep the other one and go get a second pullet from a different place? I had been told that if I'm only getting two that I should get them from the same place at the same time.. not sure if that's so they get along or so I don't bring possible disease from 2 places in. Just need some advice on this. I can't decide whether to start over with 2 new ones or try to just replace the one cockerel. Thank you!

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I don’t see why you can’t get a new pullet, hold it in solitary confinement for a while until you are sure she is not sick or anything and then introduce them, I’m sure they may not get along very well at first but they are flock animals so they will deal with each other rather then be apart

3. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I was recently in the same situation.

The introduction method that we did is detailed on my byc page.

*** So I started this reply a long while ago, it's been sitting in another tab .. because of your post I made an entirely new BYC Page [​IMG]!

Best of luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by