1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buying Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kangababy, Jan 4, 2011.

1. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Where is a good place to get day old quail?
    Looking to have them here say by March 1st (if possible) so that once my waterfowl start hatching mid April I have a place to put them.. only so many brooders to go around

2. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:for young chicks you want to pickup local since chicks rarely survive shipping.

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I agree with Rainwolf. Keep an eye out on your local Craigslist, or watch for a swap in your area.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I have ordered and shipped baby quail..will never do either again it did not go well.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THATS COMMON WITH QUAIL OF ALMOST ANY SPECES.... THEY ARENT BORN WITH THE RESERVES OTHER POULTRY CHICKS HAVE, SO THEY CANT BE WITHOUT FOOD OR WATER VERY LONG AFTER HATCH... AND THEY ARE 1000X'S MORE COLD SENSITIVE THAN MOST OTHER BABIES... ALL THIS MAKES FOR DAY OLD SHIPPING NIGHTMARE RECIPE. THEY ARE HOWEVER EASY TO HATCH IN MANY CASES... SO IF INCUBATION IS A POSSIBILITY YOU MIGHT WANT TO GO FOR EGGS INSTEAD.... JUST ORDER TWICE AS MANY AS THE NUMBER OF BIRDS YOU WANT.... 50% IS ABOUT AVERAGE ON SHIPPED EGGS.

6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Be careful about eggs freezing if you order in early March or late February like you said.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You can always hatch some so you can get them by March 1st [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by