1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buying Roosts

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jazzpurr, Apr 13, 2007.

1. jazzpurr

jazzpurr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    Can anyone tell me where to buy reasonably priced roosts. I would like 4. 2x2 is okay..so is 1 x 4. I have been looking at the McMurray site and it seems very expensive. i.e. "Clear plastic egg cartons on sale $25.00 per 50' ???The roosts are at least $150.00 for a 4 roost pre-fab.

Thanks In Advance.

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Do you mean nest boxes ?

Roosts are what the birds perch on and 2x4's laid on the flat side work well, as do smooth tree branches, etc.

Nest boxes are for the hens to lay their eggs in. Any number of items can be used for nest boxes - 5 gal. buckets on the side, storage bins, old chest of drawers, boxes, etc.

3. jazzpurr

jazzpurr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    YEs... Sorry

I meant nest boxes...

My newbie is showing.

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    You certainly don't have to spend much money to provide a good place for your girls to lay their eggs.

I think if you do a search of this board, you'll find there are many ideas out there for nest boxes.....

dish pans
    'recycle' containers
    pet taxis
    litter boxes, with or without covers
    wood
    buckets
    fruit crates
    cardboard boxes
    book shelves
    milk crates

Be creative and recycle you already own that you aren't using.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by