Buying Shavings and Litter in BULK

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Justuschicks, May 10, 2011.

1. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Does anyone know of a place online where you can order pine shavings in bulk? I am sick of buying the big cubes at the store 1 by 1 for so much $$$$. It is just pine shavings! I live in a very moist climate and the shavings seem to work the best for keeping things dry. Thanks!

2. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I don't know about online, but I get giant bulk sized blocks at my local grain and feed store cheap. A bigger package than I can carry (I need to use my yard wagon) for like 5 or 6 bucks. I use it for my bunny and my chickens and it lasts forever, because the package is very condensed.

3. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    look for suppliers of horse...stuff. I get my shavings from a place that specializes in horses. I pay the equivalent of 5 dollars for a HUGE bale of the stuff.

I also use it in my smaller coops and for the rabbits.

Good luck

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Unless you want to buy an ENTIRE FULL tractor-trailer load, you are not going to do much if any better than your feedstore's price. (You ARE buying your shavings at the feedstore in the big compressed bales, yes, not in wee bags at pet stores or Walmart?)

Your only hope of undercutting the feedstore price significantly would be IF you can find a local source of ADEQUATE-quality bulk shavings (by the dumpload or pickup truck load)... most people either have no source at all or the only thing they can get is not really appropriate for bedding, either basically-sawdust or basically-woodchips or contains pressure-treated stuff. But if you are lucky enough, you might be able to do that.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I get mine in large bales as well for just under $5. The bales are about 2'x4' and it's really compressed. You're best bet is to go somewhere that sells equine feed and supplies, rather than pet/wild bird shops.

6. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    If you have a tractor supply they should have the bigger block for like $4 and somthing cents

7. cooper38

cooper38 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Deep Gap, NC
    Planer shavings is what your local feed store/ TS sell in those bundles. Check with local sawmills or cabinet/ woodworking shops that have planers. Most will give you all you want just to get rid of them. Just make shure there is no walnut shavings. Most of the mills around here deal heavily with pine lumber and have plenty of pine shavings after running lumber to size it.

8. Justuschicks

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Thanks, for the suggestions. [​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My local lumber yard (not a big box store- a "Parr Lumber") sells them for $6 a bale.

10. Justuschicks

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Yea, I checked w/ our local lumber yard and for some reason they only have saw dust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by