Buying Silkie Bantam eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by twixerella, Apr 3, 2009.

1. twixerella

twixerella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisa
    I have 5 regular chickens at home for eggs and recently due to their not so friendly nature I have decided to buy some silkie bantams. I have searched around the internet and have decided to buy some fertilized eggs off ebay. I was just wondering if anyone had ever done anything like that before and how it went for you. I would also like to know how silkies normally behave, I've heard they're very docile and I was just wondering if everything I had heard about them was true.

2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I bought 6 silkie eggs from equus2 - from here on BYC. She packaged/shipped them very well. I had a 90% hatch rate!

They are the sweetest, cutest chicks! [​IMG]

3. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I bought a dozen mixed silkie eggs from chickenzoo. She packed them beautifully.

They are due to hatch in 11 days.

4. judyc

judyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a dozen red silkie eggs off Ebay. All but 3 have floating air cells.

The were wrapped in paper towels, in a carton. Then, the carton was taped shut, and put in a box stuffed with newspaper.

Not real good, in other words.

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I just bought 8 Gold laced cochins from ebay. 1 was infertile, 1 had a blood ring, the other 6 are all in the incubator developing according to my candling.

I also just bought 10 Splash Frizzles and they're in the incubator. Its too early to candle yet.

I've gotten my eggs within 2 to 3 days after I pay and so far so good.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase eggs from ebay again. Why not? I buy everything else from there. LOL

Laurie

6. Fingers crossed

Fingers crossed Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    We bought 6 Silkie eggs from Ebay over a month ago with no success, 5 were infurtile and one was leaking and black inside (someone suggested it had been in an incubator before). We now have 6 more from a different Ebayer and so far out of the 6 eggs we have 5 with movement in them.... they are due on the 10th [​IMG]

7. twixerella

twixerella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisa
    What user did you guys buy silkie eggs off before? I was going to order them off eggsandyyarns. Has anyone had any luck with that user?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by