1. There is currently a quarantine in place in the area surrounding and containing the Southern California counties of Los Angeles County and Riverside County for Virulent Newcastle Disease. The quarantine strictly restricts movements of poultry, eggs, supplies and other items that can spread vND. Please do not list items for sale originating from either county without written permission from the CDFA. Please see here for more details

BUYING SILKIES WA STATE

Discussion in 'Chicks 1 Day to 8 Weeks Old' started by SpokaneChickenLover, Feb 2, 2018.

1. SpokaneChickenLover

SpokaneChickenLover In the Brooder

Feb 1, 2018
    Spokane wa
    Looking to pay for dna testing(sexing)/purchase some silkies to become part of our family. Live in Washington state and due to zoning only allowed 2(girls). Not wanting to waste time raising some boys just to have to turn them away (would break everyones heart) If anyone knows of anyone or can point me in the right direction would be a godsend. Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    DNA testing for what? Not sure I understand...but there are some breeders who can sex day old or week old chicks and tell with high confidence that they are girls. Id find a breeder who can do this for you if all your doing is trying to avoid purchasing boys. Hope this helps!

good luck!

puffypoo22 likes this.
  3. SpokaneChickenLover

SpokaneChickenLover In the Brooder

Feb 1, 2018
    Spokane wa
    Exactly that looking to avoid boys due to laws/restrictions. And not wanting to break hearts having to rehome a family member months down the line just due to sex. If know of any breeders/ sellers that fits that criteria please let me know. Very desperate at this point.

4. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    So im not going to recommend the lady over here on the western side who I purchased mine through, as they were all mean and she doesn't sex them for you. But I don't know of any silkie breeders in our state other than her. Not sure that would help, if youre all the way in Spokane, as she would have to ship them or youd have to drive to Puyallup to pick them up. Im sure they could be shipped this time of year, since the weather here hasn't been too cold. Not sure you could find another breeder online but they would need to be in a state that is close, and isn't too cold to ship the little day olds. Plus, i think there may be a minimum number you can get shipped to you in the winter time, and if you only want two, that might be a problem. Lets see, since youre pretty far east it might behoove you to see if there are any reliable breeders in N Idaho that are hatching this time of year. Sorry i couldn't help more. Hope someone has better advice than me:jumpy:jumpy

SpokaneChickenLover likes this.
  5. NNYchick

NNYchick Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    Harrisville, NY
    OP is right, the only sure way to sex a silkie until crows or lays is through DNA blood test. @SpokaneChickenLover the only breeder I know that sells DNA sexed silkies is in CA and they do ship is Amber Waves, note prepare for sticker shock for DNA sexed pullets. You might want to check some of your local craigslist listing for local / semi local breeders or try your state thread here on BYC as you might get lucky and find a breeder that has a young hen or 2 that they decided not to use in their breeding program but would make excellent pets.

Fluffy&Cutie and Birdinhand like this.
  6. NNYchick

NNYchick Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    Harrisville, NY
  7. FishMtFarm

FishMtFarm Emu whisperer

Jan 2, 2017
    Lake Pleasant, NY
    I sell DNA sexed silkies

m1chelle1, Birdinhand and NNYchick like this.
  8. NNYchick

NNYchick Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    Harrisville, NY
    @FishMtFarm which company do you use for DNA sexing? I’ve been thinking of doing a few.

9. FishMtFarm

FishMtFarm Emu whisperer

Jan 2, 2017
    Lake Pleasant, NY
    Animal Genetics Lab, pricey but like knowing what I have. I dont DNA everyone, just if someone is looking for something in particular or if there are some I want to keep.

10. NNYchick

NNYchick Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    Harrisville, NY
    How long does it take to get results?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: