1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buying Straight-Run turned out GREAT

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AlienChick, Jun 6, 2011.

1. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    So earlier this year I purchased an assortment of pullet chicks as well as straight-run Silkies, Polish, and d'Uccles.

I waited patiently [​IMG] for ANY signs of roo from the straight-run guys. (I was hoping for one roo in each so I could possibly have babies.)

To my delight the three d'Uccles turned out to be 2 hens and 1 rooster.

The four Polish turned out to be 2 hens and 2 roosters.
    Then I waited, and waited, and waited for my three Silkies to show SOME sign. [​IMG] Just a "hint" would have been nice.

Anyway, this morning I noticed that the larger of my three Silkies has got some definite comb development. Roo, right?

If he turns out to be a roo, then I have 2 hens and 1 rooster.

I'm HAPPY! [​IMG]

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    You did do well..
    I got 6 bantam BO and I think 4 are roos [​IMG] I don't want to breed them and was not particularly thrilled at getting the bantams and now I have 4... 4!!!
    My silkie and polish roos are all taken care of (going to a nice lady who runs a petting zoo)... I do think that 3 of my 5 polish are roos, but NO clue on the silkies.

I now have to find out what to do with 4 bantam roos...

Glad you did well [​IMG] Maybe I will let you get mine for me next time [​IMG]

4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Great news! I have never bought straight run, but I did let a broody hen hatch 7 eggs recently, now I'm afraid [​IMG] of what I'm gonna get!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by