Buying Turkeys In Canada

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by abi24, Dec 8, 2011.

1. abi24

abi24 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Hi There,

I am looking to purchase some turkeys in the spring of 2012 and was wondering if there are suppliers in Canada. Ordered from Performance Poultry last year and he canceled my order the day before I was to pick them up.

Can get them from the US but I have heard that day turkeys do not travel as well as day chicks.

Can anyone out there had confirm this?

Thanks.

2. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    I've heard of people in Canada ordering poults from hatcheries in the states, I've never done it myself though.

3. dwest

dwest Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    Kintore Ontario Canada
    What kind of turkeys are you looking for? The commercial broad-breasted turkeys or the heritage breeds? Commercial breeds should be readily available at a good selection of feed stores, the heritage ones will be a bit trickier. I think I've come across one hatchery in my googling, thinking it was in eastern Ontario, but I've googled so much turkey info in the last couple months that I can't remember any more than that.

Ok...scratch that idea, I just googled Performance Poultry and it's likely the site I had found before...

If you're in eastern Ontario there are lots of small producers that I've found in that area on the Poultry Swap Ontario forum that might be able to help you out.

4. SuperChickenDude327

SuperChickenDude327 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got 1 person who I'm buying turkeys and possibly chickens and guineas in the spring. Nice guy,owns a lot of land. Tell me, where do you live? He's in Eastern Ontario.

5. abi24

abi24 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    I am about one hour east of Toronto.

Looking for about 20 or so.

6. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Check with the Exhibition Turkey Fanciers District 10 Director (Canada: LB, NB, NF, NS, ON, PE, PQ) George Whitney, Ontario, Canada at [email protected]

George should be able to help you connect with a breeder or hatchery in Canada.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by