1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buying young hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by foxcaruso, Dec 19, 2014.

1. foxcaruso

foxcaruso New Egg

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi folks. I have 6 girls. All doing well. Unfortunately I used to have 8. one died in the late summer due to natural causes (not sick or injured) and the other last night to a predator. I am pretty upset but I really want to replace them, is there anyway to buy young laying hens at this time and have them shipped? If not, are there any folks in western pa who are looking or willing to sell 2 birds?

I am finding it difficult to locate anything at this time. I am willing to drive an hour or two but not to the other corner of the state in late Feb to get some. I live near Pittsburgh PA so Eastern Ohio and Erie, PA are not out of the question.

Thanks to any and all help!

Merry Christmas,

Mark
    Sarver, PA

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I'm so sorry for your loss[​IMG] you might want to check your local craigslist ads to find a few more chickens, but when bringing in new chickens, you will need to quarantine them for a while, or you risk bringing something to your girls that could make them sick or worse.

3. foxcaruso

foxcaruso New Egg

Dec 12, 2013
    Thanks. It was a coopers hawk that got her... Oh well, circle of life. I think I am just gonna get 3 chicks this spring. No eggs till late summer but I already have a brooder set for just such an occurance. I feel so bad. I want them to have freedom but I guess it will have to wait for better weather. My neighbor, who sells his free range eggs for profit, lost 12 hens in Dec to the cooper. All dark or black, just like my barred rock girl.

4. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    your welcome :) Hawks can be really persistant. Chicks are nice cause they are usually nicer to you, while pullets are usually more skittish. I rescue chickens, and the resuced ones always take awhile to warm up to me :) Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by