Buzzards and hawks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cindy99, Aug 14, 2010.

1. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    The farmer cut the hay across the road today. It must have stirred up all the rabbits and mice because there are hawks and buzzards flying around all over the place! They have been hanging around all day! I got worried and put my little Buff Orpington baby girls inside. They have an enclosed covered (with chicken fence) area but I was still worried about them. They aren't very happy with me.

Henry and Snowflake seem to be staying under bushes or inside the coop today.

I never really payed attention to stuff like this before! Now I worry that everything is a threat to my chickens. [​IMG] I am starting to drive myself crazy!

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Good idea putting them inside. The hawks might only be interested in the rabbits and other rodents, but you don't want to give them a chance at your birds, too.

The buzzards shouldn't be a danger to your birds except for weaklings and little chicks who can't run and hide.

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    You are right to be concerned about your birds. You have to remember that chickens are about the easiest prey item for any predator out there. Once they find them and see how easy they are to kill they will come back over and over. [​IMG]

Keep them up until things calm down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by