buzzards

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by easton coop, Jun 25, 2010.

1. easton coop

easton coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    Hi all. I have just completed an open run that's has netting around the perimeter. I let the girls out and they loved being on grass again. My concern is that i spotted 3 buzzards gliding over this morning. The crows were grouping together for an attack, but i was still concerned for my girls. I put them into the secure run that is wired all over. I do think i should be worried as the buzzards have taken pigeons before. What do we all think. I live in the uk.

[​IMG]

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I have a breeding pair of buzzards that hang around my property quite a bit. Most of my chickens are in runs but my brahmas are not - I am banking on the fact that they will be too big to be taken, but they still make me nervous. If your run is covered however then you should be fine. Some people suggest hanging cds on fishing wire around the tops of the runs to confuse the prey birds, might be worth a try.

3. easton coop

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    Thank you highlander.

I have just spoken to one of the neighbours and they tell me I should be more concerned about the sparrow hawk!!! I may put netting over the top of the run!

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You do realize that picture is a hawk and not a buzzard?

Unless of course you just call them something different over there.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  5. easton coop

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    Quote:It looks like a buzzard! if you call it a hawk then what do you call a buzzard? [​IMG]

6. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    In the US, a buzzard is a vulture, or carrion bird. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_Vulture The neck is naked and the head looks similar to a turkey. One variety is even called a Turkey Vulture or Turkey Buzzard. Really not an attractive bird, though turken lovers might disagree with me on that. It can also be used to refer to an older person who is "difficult". A hawk is a bird that hunts its prey. Looks more like a small eagle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawk From what I gather on Wikipedia, the word "buzzard" means "hawk" in Europe.

7. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    Around here we call these buzzards.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure this belongs to the hawk family.

[​IMG]

8. easton coop

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    Yep, over here buzzards are hawks! part of 'birds of prey'. I thought there was a good reason to post the image.

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Yeah that is a Hawk and you should be worried .. Buzzards (the carrion eating ones) wont hurt your birds but that hawk will pick them off one by one '

10. madimorg

madimorg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    Yep, that photo is of a hawk. A buzzard will eat things that are dead already and they dont look like that photo. As far as the hawk.. yes, they will get your chicks if the run isn't covered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by