BWAA, HA, HA! You would think that after 15 years, the Hubs would know better than to dare me...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AnotherKim, Sep 30, 2012.

1. AnotherKim

AnotherKim Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    We live in an old house, built in the late '50's. There is an old brick "garage" in the back yard. I would say it's at least 500 sq ft. The garage doors were removed and boarded up before we bought the house about 13 years ago. It has a regular door and a bunch of windows, and would make the perfect barn.

Crazy. I've been scratching my head for the last month, trying to figure out what to use for a coop and a goat pen, and this garage has been in front of my face the entire time.The problem is, it's full of junk that we don't use! I mean, almost floor to ceiling full. We've just been to lazy to clean it out. Hello! McFly!

Now, I must say, my husband has NOT been into the whole "barnyard in the backyard" thing, at all.He thinks he can just pretend I'm not going to do this. Ha, ha. He should know by now that once I set my mind to something, it's going to happen. So, I told him I am going to clean out "the shed" this week, and he laughed at me. i told him that once it was clean, I was getting my chickens. He laughed harder. The jokes on him. I'll take that as a dare, bwaa, ha, ha. Make that a "double dog dare". Plus, the kids are out of school this week. LOL. They're going to hate me by the end of the week.

So. This is the beginning of my coop "design". Stay tuned.

1 person likes this.
  2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I triple-dog dare you!

1 person likes this.
  3. AnotherKim

May 23, 2012
    I'll invite you to the yard sale, Gallo. LOL

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    You go girl!! It WILL be worth all the hard work, tell the kids they can each pick out their own chick for all the hard work. [​IMG]

5. abChicken

abChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Gaston County N.C.
    I'M STAYING TUNED[​IMG]

6. AnotherKim

May 23, 2012
    We worked for a whooping hour today, lol. I take my mom to her church craft club on Mondays. By the time I got home it was already noon. We worked our butts off for an hour and then decided to take a two hour break. It's flippin' HOT in Tucson today. Back to the grindstone in about ten minutes. This has been good for my 16 y/o. His dad passed away a year ago today, so this is keeping his mind off of that.

Tucson Peeps, there will be a yard sale this weekend! Message me for the deets.

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Ill definitely be watching your progress too[​IMG]. And sorry for your families loss.

8. AnotherKim

May 23, 2012
    Thanks Chickn Pickin. Dan's handling it really well.

We have the shed about 3/4 empty now. Not bad for a total of three hours work. I have to get up early tomorrow and finish up. My backyard looks like a dump! Bulky pick-up is two weeks away. I'm hoping my neighbors don't get annoyed , but I'm putting the junk-stuff in the alley now. If we do it neatly, there shouldn't be a problem. No HOA arround here. We all get along pretty well. My next door neighbor's landlord trimmed the trees today and practically filled the dumpster,so I can't throw much out. I'm trying to leave room for house garbage. We only have once-a week garbage pick-up and it's not until Saturday.

The roof on this shed is trashed. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.I think we'll tear it off and put aluminum panels on it. I'm hoping the beams are good enough that we don't have to replace those. The people before us put electricity in it but had to cut it off when we had the inspector out. It was pretty badly jerry-rigged. My friend is an electrician. I'm hoping he'll give me a good deal to wire it properly this time. I want to put a fan and some light in there.

The biggest trick right now, is to keep my husband out of the back yard for a while, lol. He's going to have a fit if he sees this mess. He finally realized what he had gotten himself into last night. I was watching my guilty pleasure, Real Housewives Of NJ, and he had gone to bed. He came out about an hour later and said, "I can't sleep. What exactly are your plans for the shed?" I about fell off of the couch, laughing. That will teach him to dare me.

9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Oh man, this is going to be good. A very determined woman. A hint of marital tension. A shed unearthed from 13 years of accumulation. Finally, the promise of an awesome chicken coop. I'm so looking forward to watching this unfold. As the poster said earlier, you go girl!

10. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Woo hoo! Might as well dream big :) I wonder if it would help with the heat to insulate your roof? We used some insulated panels on a project and they were easy to put up and pretty reasonable.

It took a year and a half for my husband to go from saying 3 was our chicken limit to saying things like, "Get as many chickens as you want," and "I'm not building any rabbit hutches until I can start my boat." Well, he'll be working on that boat just right away!

Staying tuned :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by