1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

by what age should I be able to ID male/female *correctly*?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by patandchickens, Jul 31, 2008.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The title isn't exactly what I mean, but I couldn't figure out how else to phrase it [​IMG]

So I have 9 Speckled Sussexes and 4 Buff Chanteclers, ok?, at 13 weeks old. Two of the sussexes are conspicuously roosters and have been for probably 6-8 weeks. Two of the chanteclers I also am pretty sure are boys - one has much redder and slightly larger comb and wattle-vestiges than the others (remember chanteclers are cushion-combed and almost wattle-less) and he and another have both been crowing.

But, what about late-maturing individuals? (I got messed up by this with my Campines - two days after I sold the 4 definite roos, one of the remaining 'hens', which the poultry breeder to whom I sold the roos agreed was prolly a hen, started crowing all over the place and growing a bigger comb [​IMG])

I would post 'can you tell me the sex' photos of the most questionable birds except I am the world's lousiest poultry photographer and just CANNOT, especially for the sussexes, get photos where you can actually see the birds well enough from reasonable angles [​IMG]

So I guess I'm asking, for chanteclers and for sussexes, at what age would you conclude that if it has not yet crowed or developed obvious male secondary sex characteristics it probably really IS a hen?

Sorry to be so dense (and photographically impaired),

Pat

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I would put this in the breed/sex id forum. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by