by what age to feathers tell sex?

HSerChickLady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
upstate NY
I'm still waiting to see what my straight run TSC ducklings will be and i can't find an age in my books. How old should they be before i'm sure of what they are? I'm starting to get excited that i might have actually gotten 5 out of 6 females which would just be the greatest luck ever for me. The little Rouen looks to have the curl above its tail but the 5 Crested's have no curls showing so far. They're about 3 months old now. Thanks for the help.

I'm still waiting to see what my straight run TSC ducklings will be and i can't find an age in my books. How old should they be before i'm sure of what they are? I'm starting to get excited that i might have actually gotten 5 out of 6 females which would just be the greatest luck ever for me. The little Rouen looks to have the curl above its tail but the 5 Crested's have no curls showing so far. They're about 3 months old now. Thanks for the help.
You may have to wait a tad longer to be sure, but that would be awesome if it turned out the way your saying.

You may have to wait a tad longer to be sure, but that would be awesome if it turned out the way your saying.

By three months their vocalizations should be starting to deepen. Females have the stereotypical high-pitched "quack" whereas males tend to have more of a throaty rasp. But I'm not sure if that's universal across all duck species or not...

Voice sexing hasn't worked so far. These Crested's are so friendly that they do not protest at all when handled. There is one who quacks her head off and sounds just like our older Cayuga girls so i assume that one is also female. All the others are silent when handled-little stinkers. They don't even try to thrash about at all. lol! What a huge difference they have been from the Mallards that are untouchable.

They're awesome! I wish they were all like these guys. They even put themselves in the coop as evening approaches or when they get chilly. They're not afraid of the mower or kids or anything normal in our yard. You have to push them out of the way many times to do things in their area. They have gotten a bit more skiddish since going outside but still nothing like our other flock.

Back
Top Bottom