BYC Bad Boy chilli dipping sauce ***RECIPE NOW ADDED***

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by h4ppy-chris, Dec 13, 2011.

1. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    can you you help?
    i want to make a sweet ish, chilli ish, tomato ish, dipping sauce. i dont want any of the flavors to shout out!
    all so i want to can it and have no lumps or seeds no big bits of tomato a smooth sauce. clear ish a bit like a watered down tomato ketchup, but the same thickness as tomato ketchup.
    chuck your ideas in this cooking pot and lets see what we can come up with!

my ideas
    1 cup tomato ketchup
    1 cup suger
    1 chilli finely greated
    1 cup of water

thats where am up too helppppppppppppppppp

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. h4ppy-chris

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    just tryed
    1 cup tomato ketchup
    1 cup suger
    1/4 Tsp chilli
    1/2 cup of cider vinager

turned out very nice and will make again lol tastes a bit like a sweet and sour sauce with a hint of chilli [​IMG]

3. h4ppy-chris

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    looks like am on my own with this one [​IMG]

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My grandmother used to make and can chili sauce. It was lumpy and sweet and spicy. No heat to it. It had cloves in it. Very good on meat loaf. Is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

I like the Indian style of sweet chili sauce. Lots of recipes for that on-line. You could whirl it in a blender to make it smooth. I had to go get into my fridge to see what it is called. "Sweet Chili Sauce" appears to be the official name.

The one I've got is made by Mae Ploy. Thai Kitchen makes a good one and sometimes Costco carries it. Other brands I've tried, I didn't like. Trader Joes sells one that is a waste of time.

The Mae Ploy has sugar, water, pickled red chili, vinegar, garlic, salt. I don't think that the Thai Kitchen uses pickled chili, just regular red chili. I've made it at home using fire roasted red bell peppers and it turned out really good.

5. h4ppy-chris

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    yes it's the Indian style of sweet chili sauce i was wanting to make but did not want to use a recipe of the net.
    i wanted to play and come up with my own with the help from you guys.
    well i got there and now have made my own, it took a few batches to get it right so here it is.

chilli sweet sauce

1 cup suger
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 cup tomato ketchup
    1/3 tsp chilli powder

put suger, vinegar, water and chilli in to a pan bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. then add the ketchup and simmer for 1 minute stirring all the time.
    let cool and serve hot or use it cold it's YUM
    the amount of chilli used gives a lovely warm heat to the mouth.

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

There are lots of them in the canning books but I prefer mango chutney or tomatillo salsa.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by