BYC Café

Beautiful day to be outside here in NJ. Pushed this body to just about its limits. Fresh pot has been brewed as coffee was needed - have at it in good spirit.

Burger King burgers kill my gut - haven't eaten there in 30 years.

Many of the commercially available varieties are either non hardy or minimally hardy. There are hardy varieties that can handle very cold weather. Generally they tend to be small flowered varieties - many of them with Japanese origins. In another lifetime I worked in an ornamental display garden. One of my projects was growing mum baskets, cascades, and espaliers for autumn display. Garden was owned by Doris Duke the tobacco heiress, and she preferred the Japanese varieties.
You did?? Ah, I would love to work in some type of nursery/gardening what-have-you. I've been looking into them a bit, and reading what Debby linked, but I haven't found anything cold hardy to zone 4, only down to 5.

Was the garden you worked in amazing?

Afternoon Cafe!

I'm on the right thread this time! :oops:
I just brewed a fresh pot of coffee. Y'all have at it...got to go to work tonight, so whomever gets the last cup, please rinse the pot. :D

Y'all have a pleasant evening!
Thanks! I need a cup of coffee! Been working in the chickens runs today and I'm ready for a nap. :lau And wouldn't you know it, the sun just came out. Now I need to find something else to do outside.

Was the garden you worked in amazing?

The place was the Duke Garden Foundation. Display gardens were arranged in a quadrangle around the growing houses. The place was beautiful and filled with plants from all over the world. Tours were conducted during the week, and 'tour guide' was one of my jobs. Owner was a somewhat eccentric, extremely wealthy lady accustomed to having her own way. Many there were terrified of her and worked out of fear - I personally never had problems. Management ruled with sort of a 'feudal system' outlook, and for someone with my personality this was grating. All in all it was an amazing place, but it was important that I moved on. When I left they offered me the same salary 50% increase that I was getting at the new job. My reply, "If you had been giving me that sort of raise all along, I would never have left." Needless to say that enticement did not work.

My tiny puppy 😁

IMG_20200108_134517~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom