BYC Café

Now that I've taken more time to review the patient guidelines and apply DHs circumstances to it, one might consider a third option: observe.

That is the preferred recommendation for patients with a life expectancy less than 10 years.

The average life expectancy for an AD patient is 8-10 years after diagnosis. DH was diagnosed 3.5 years ago and he was already in the early moderate stage. However, some can live for 20 years.

Now what?

I think I'm going to talk with his neurologist and then again with his urologist before making a final decision.
That might be the best way to go! It sounds like a slow version of prostate cancer?

My father had prostate cancer- he was in his 80's at the time, his doctor said in men his age it progressed slowly. He died at 90 from pneumonia. He had dementia and couldn't remember how to swallow properly= inhalation pneumonia. He was in a nursing home because of that. In the nursing home he was always falling down(he also had seisures. They put him in a wheel chair and he started visiting other patient rooms and taking some of their belongings.

We kept getting calls that he was close to death but, kept recovering. The last time we got the call figured it was another false alarm but no, he did pass away that time. I think THAT upset us the most.

Now that I've taken more time to review the patient guidelines and apply DHs circumstances to it, one might consider a third option: observe.

That is the preferred recommendation for patients with a life expectancy less than 10 years.

The average life expectancy for an AD patient is 8-10 years after diagnosis. DH was diagnosed 3.5 years ago and he was already in the early moderate stage. However, some can live for 20 years.

Now what?

I think I'm going to talk with his neurologist and then again with his urologist before making a final decision.
That's a heavy load, DL. Hopefully the neurologist and/or urologist can help you feel comfortable in the decision you make.

My dad had prostate cancer and it was slow. He ended up dying from inhalation pneumonia. He was 90. As they say "only the good die young."

Mom died at 77 because she refused radiation &/or chemo when she had breast cancer at 65 that had spread to one lymph gland. She was taking tamoxifen but doctor's later said if taken for more than 5 years, it actually caused cancer.

Dad had dementia as well and they said he probably wasn't swallowing properly. He also had unpredictable seizures as the result of having many head injuries in his life- from doing really idiotic things .

My father had prostate cancer- he was in his 80's at the time, his doctor said in men his age it progressed slowly. He died at 90 from pneumonia. He had dementia and couldn't remember how to swallow properly= inhalation pneumonia. He was in a nursing home because of that. In the nursing home he was always falling down(he also had seisures. They put him in a wheel chair and he started visiting other patient rooms and taking some of their belongings.

We kept getting calls that he was close to death but, kept recovering. The last time we got the call figured it was another false alarm but no, he did pass away that time. I think THAT upset us the most.
They can fool you like that! My Grandma Mae went to the Hospital every couple of months with COPD. The last time, we waited until the next day to go see her but she died that morning from an aneurism so did not get to see her before she passed.

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

We got the biopsy results back yesterday. DH has "unfavorable intermediate" stage prostate cancer. The doctor took samples all around the prostate, not just on the spot seen on the MRI. Out of 15 samples collected, 10 had cancer cells. Mostly graded 3, some 4 on a scale of 1-5 where 1 & 2 are considered benign.

Options are complete removal of the prostate (RP) and surrounding lymph nodes (PLND) or external beam radiation treatment (EBRT) plus hormone therapy (ADT) for 4-6 months.

If we go the radiation route, there are a lot of potential complications and he'd have to go to the hospital 5 days a week for 4-6 months for the treatments.

If we go the prostatectomy route, he'll have a catheter in for one week and when it comes out, he will be instantly incontinent and have to wear adult diapers. Continence fully returns in most men by 6 months post op. About 7% of men will not regain continence 1 year post op.

Lots to think about.

Tough way anyhow you decide :he

I have read about an aggressive version that has a very short time to live
His isn't that type. He's in the middle of the road.
For what it's worth there is a calculator online that predicts longevity for Alzheimer's patients. According to that, when I input the best case, least severe symptoms along with his latest MMSE score, the longest he could be expected to live is 7 years.

Back
Top Bottom