BYC Café

Hermits Garden

Vintage American Featherless Biped
Premium Feather Member
Oct 8, 2018
Lakeside, Arizona
Nope. If run had a roof, I would.
There is one place I put a wind shield, an old slider window panel on the north side of the 'under-run'.
I'm always reassured by your run, aart. Everybody tells me I should have a covered run, but there's so much shade here, and we're in the high desert rain-wise. I figure they'd like to have what little sun they will get, and I intent to use a snow shovel and straw for "paths" in the winter. They'll have a couple covered spots out in the run with roofs over them, but mostly, just a wire cover.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I'm always reassured by your run, aart. Everybody tells me I should have a covered run, but there's so much shade here, and we're in the high desert rain-wise. I figure they'd like to have what little sun they will get, and I intent to use a snow shovel and straw for "paths" in the winter. They'll have a couple covered spots out in the run with roofs over them, but mostly, just a wire cover.
How much snow do you get?
My setup is not ideal, I wish my run was roofed.

I shovel paths, for access for me to do snow load removal and to give them some room to roam. They have a small sheltered area about 5x8, the under-run, to dust bathe.
But have a pretty large coop, 6sqft per bird on floor...plus the roost boards...for those days when it's too nasty to go outside.

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
There is no way I would have built a run without a solid roof on it in my area.
This is from last winter. Granted, this was a record breaking amount of snow but we get a decent amount of snow every winter.
Winter bury 1.jpg
winter bury 2.jpg

It was bad enough just shoveling my way to the coop. I can't imagine having to shovel out the run too.
And they use it year round. This is the winter run:
Dust bathing in run.png

Top Bottom