1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BYC email Solicitation - I guess it had to happen...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Davaroo, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I just got an email/spam from < [email protected] >. He's joined the ranks of the myriad e-book hucksters these days it seems and is selling, "How to Build A Chicken Coop" for $29.95. Ive seen him before, but he's taken it to a new level. He actually plied one of the oldest marketing hooks in the world, too, GUILT. He suggests that without his book, I cant 'care' about my chickens.

He used my email addy in my profile to solicit me. I don't mind, really, until it becomes excessive - and then I'll just block him. But others of you are not so forgiving, and might not like someone using your profile ito try and sell you information that you can get elsewhere for free.

So, if you don't like being "solicited" by fellow BYC'ers mining the profiles on BYC, then be mindful of your email address.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Good to know. Isn't there something in the guidelines about sending out unwanted emails to memebers? I would report him

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, I didn't get one, but that's OK.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Probably. But that is going to apply to turnstiling through the BYC messaging system. This was done through my outside email, which is not a violation, I'm certain.
    Since I have my email in my profile, I invited him, in a sense. At least that's how he sees it, I'm sure.

I can appreciate entrepreneurs trying to hustle a buck, so like many, I don't really mind.
    But I also know that that many people do not appreciate having their personal contact information mined, used or even sold in this manner.

If you are one of these you may wish to rethink how you place your email address in internet forums.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I got one of those too, I didn't mind. I just deleted it cause I didn't need it.

6. Hi! I got one too. I searched his username and see he is banned.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    Quote:EGADS!!! How could you NOT get that book, don't you CARE!?!?!? Bad bad chickie parent...... [​IMG]

Just kidding. I hate spam in an email or a can..... [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No member is allowed to use the email/PM system to spam, period. Just report the member (check to see if he/she isn't already banned, though) and we'll take care of it.

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Yeah, it's not a very smart marketing tactic to send your spam e-mails to a forum admin. [​IMG] The Staff had a laugh about that this morning.

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Yup, that particular spammer emailed me while I was online last night. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by