BYC help design the interior

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JohnDeereCracker, May 21, 2010.

1. JohnDeereCracker

JohnDeereCracker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Middleburg, Florida
    My new coop is 8' x 12', open air"ish". the front is 12' wide with a 4 foot opening in the center, the rear wall is 12' wide with two foot "window" all the way across the top, both side walls are 8' wide with 24"x24" windows. my friend told me to close up part of the rear window to allow for the roost. he said the chickens wont roost in front of a window. the whole inside is still untouched, so I am taking all advice for how to set it up. I have my own ideas, but would appreciate yalls input. thank you, Chris

pics to come in the daylight.

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm...my girls haven't complained about the view from their roost [​IMG] I've seen a number of coops arranged specifically to let the girls look out the window at the sunrise from their roost so I don't think my setup is unusual. I'm sure other members will be along soon to weigh in on that point. One thing I would recommend is the nipple watering system. In the case of your lovely, big coop, a system like this would work great: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=328918&p=1 check out the setup by Dogfish on post #6. I'm really happy with my PVC pipe feeder that uses a Y-fitting. Do a search on "pvc feeder" for different design ideas. I got both these ideas from the clever BYC folks and I couldn't be happier. Good luck on your interior improvements. Remember to post some pics.

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    My hens have a window view as well and they seem pretty happy roosting there....

4. JohnDeereCracker

JohnDeereCracker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Middleburg, Florida
    That is what I thought, but I can always count on BYC to give the right way. I will leave it like it is and see what happpens. I wil definatley look into that watering system, will save me time and hassle. By the way Ihave two Barred RTock hens and one Roo and 12 Buff Orpington hens going in the new coop. Thanks, Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by