BYC, I have a problem.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Faverolling, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Faverolling

Faverolling Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    NW FL
    I started getting interested in chickens about five years ago after my father started putting more hours into his job due to a promotion and I had to care for his flock.

Well, I ended up with my own a while back but it seems I have a problem..

I can't turn away a free chicken, especially a gorgeous rooster. </3 So now I have six. This probably wouldn't be a problem if I could eat them, but I'm a vegetarian. Four of them I need to get rid of, but I'm attached to one. :c
    The other two I have are my breeders, and I actually do need QUALITY roos to breed, but the ones I have are either not up to standard or are the wrong breed.

Oh, curse my soft heart. :p

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's nice to want to help, but every time we introduce a bird to our flock there is the possibility of introducing disease.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sometimes with animals, especially when breeding, we have to make the difficult decision of letting go of extras for the sake of your flock. It does get easier with time, and I am now very good at saying "no". It took a lot of practice though, and the first few times selling off birds I was attached to was hard. Quick sales were my best friend. It helped me to avoid over thinking the whole thing. When the bird was gone, I usually found I didn't miss them much.

4. Faverolling

Faverolling Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    NW FL
    I actually found another one a home today. :) So now I'm down to five. One of which I'm not sure is a roo and two my dad agreed to butcher. It's been easier than I thought. c:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by