BYC in NEW YORK TIMES MAGAZINE

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by enola, Oct 25, 2010.

1. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

THE NEW YORK TIMES MAGAZINE - October 24, 2010 - page 32

An article titled "Not in My Backyard" has s direct reference to our backyardchickens.com !!

I found it an interesting article, to say the least...........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I hope it was a "good" reference not that we are trying to enable all these people to have chickens - even though we are.

4. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

5. Jeeper1540

Here is the first paragraph, with the BYC Link on it, from the NYTimes Website

The backyard-chicken movement may be a great thing for poultry fanatics, but for parents it’s a nightmare. A few years ago, it was easy enough to say, “Oh, honey, we’d love to have a pet chicken, but unfortunately you aren’t allowed to keep hens in Hamden, Conn. [or Evanston, Ill., or Madison, Wis., or Salem, Ore.].” No more. Egg-gathering activists in those communities successfully lobbied for legalization. Naturally you can try lying to your children, but if they are old enough and resourceful enough they will eventually navigate their way to the backyardchickens.com forum on local laws and ordinances, and the jig will be up.

ETA: Link to the story: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/magazine/24food-t-000.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Not in My Backyard&st=cse

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The article is the story of a father that is using the ordinances (and hoping they don't change) to discourage his growing son's interest in farming ........... vegetable gardens he has no problem with, now the son wants chickens and pigs !!!

[​IMG]

7. Jeeper1540

one of the mods should post this at the top of the page like last time we were mentioned somewhere.

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Sounds like he needs to just turn the kid loose..... Wonder which one of the two was actually on here looking up laws?

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    The backyard-chicken movement may be a great thing for poultry fanatics, but for parents it’s a nightmare. A few years ago, it was easy enough to say, “Oh, honey, we’d love to have a pet chicken, but unfortunately you aren’t allowed to keep hens in Hamden, Conn. [or Evanston, Ill., or Madison, Wis., or Salem, Ore.].” No more. Egg-gathering activists in those communities successfully lobbied for legalization. Naturally you can try lying to your children, but if they are old enough and resourceful enough they will eventually navigate their way to the backyardchickens.com forum on local laws and ordinances, and the jig will be up.

In my home the jig is ALWAYS up. My daughter has her own birds and does Irish dance. She'll be teaching them to jig one of these days.

I just keep saying "NO" until she gets what she wants...​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by