BYC makes the Kansas City Star **Urban Chicken Movement**

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by cluckychick, May 11, 2009.

1. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Wow, we were on the front page? Rock on!

[​IMG]

3. Im4Eggcellence

Im4Eggcellence Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    NW Washington State
    Interesting article, but it still amazes me about some of the unsubstantiated positions some of the people making these decisions have. How is a chicken any more unsanitary or noisy than a dog? These people ought to have to back up their positions with documentation and proof.

And the comment about "not going back to rural" is just bazaar...

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I moved from the CITY last July and couldn't be happier! Instead of being awake ned in the middle of the night by gunfire(No Hunters in the city) or police yelling _POLICE--Get down on the ground!! I would rather hear Cluck Cluck Cluck or Cock a doodle dooo!!! These people complaining ought to go see where their store bought eggs and meat come from ...then they might get on board!! Not to mention...Chickens dont run loose and attack innocent people or children like vicious dogs..Theres alot better things to worry about!!

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am happy to be in the country as well. I lived in a small town for years and could never have any chickens. My grandfather used to have a rooster and some hens a long long time ago. Now that we moved into a nice quiet area I am happy to have chickens. I just cant wait for the move to NC [​IMG]

6. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I hope the guy gets his permit. It's great that BYC was mentioned in a front page article!

I was shaking my head at the comment on "never going back to rural." It's not a disease. My chickens have occasionally roamed the neighborhood, and my fantastic neighbors bring them home. I gift them eggs, and everybody is happy.

I didn't want the chickens to get a bad rap, though, so started building a pen, and have kept the chickens in the coop except for when I could babysit them, and make sure they can't be a nuisance. My neighbors have come to ask where are the chickens? People I don't even know have stopped by, saying they miss seeing them. One even related a story about how my neighborhood had a rooster before I moved here. Everyone loved him, and he just moved from place to place. I feel like I live in heaven, and am so sorry for people who can't have both chickens, and neighbors like mine.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

8. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    My husband just called me into the office and said, "Look at this!!" Chickens (and a BYC mention) made it on Drudge Report this AM. Way to go!! Check it out under HOME STYLE:

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Michele.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  9. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    I read the article and the comments and i find it amazing how ignorant some people are about chickens, yet, are the first ones to rant and rave against them. If the government keeps going the way it has been ( local and all the way to federal),, All i can say is "GOD HELP US ALL".

10. Im4Eggcellence

Im4Eggcellence Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    NW Washington State
    Quote:You are indeed very lucky. I'd love to be able to have my birds free-range and roam about on their own - nothing more peaceful or soothing IMHO. But I can't even though I'm in a rural setting on 5 acres. I've got neighbors who think "country" is short for "country club". Even tress aren't allowed on their 5 acres of "golf course" lawn cause they're "messy". So a chicken???..... [​IMG]I

And even if that wasn't a problem, the hawks would be... there was one on the ground 2 feet from my tractor yesterday. I had looked out and wondered why all the chickens were missing... I shooed it away and found them inside looking like this [​IMG]

So you really do have best of both worlds - congrats [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by