BYC Member Interview - DwayneNLiz

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Liz, known to BYC members as DwayneNLiz, have been a member of our community since June, 2013. Another of our wonderful all rounders, she is known for her helpfulness.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

Well even though my username is DwayneNLiz I am Liz, not Dwayne. He is boring and hates chickens. :rolleyes: I try to have fun and I know that many laughs are at my expense. I am very ok with that. Along with having fun i try to be as helpful as possible when people have questions on incubation, some injuries, or chick/duckling care.

I am farmer at heart, but am forced to work to have health insurance coverage. Because I am forced to work I can’t devote my time to my farm. It’s sad, but I am looking at larger pieces of property all the time and trying to find ways to make tasks easier.

I grew up in a large family with lots of people always coming and going from our house. I have 5 brothers and 2 sisters. Some siblings are by marriage and some have mixed parentage. While growing up I did a lot of 4H and was always outside. I did not grow up on a farm but my Dad’s house had a farm next door that kept rescue horses; I used to spend a lot of time on the other side of the fence with all the horses. When I was 12 I approached someone that kept horses near my mom’s house about riding lessons. She said I could work for her and she would teach me. She had a few horses, chickens and swans. I spent every minute I could at her house.

1022598-2cce1d4b3e09c727439687ccda8674d9.jpg

I also love old Harleys :love

0503112136.jpg

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

I have kept chickens at my house for just a few years, maybe 6? I cannot remember, but we mainly got them for tick and grub control. In the spring I would always look out into the yard and see all the mole tunnels; I no longer have that problem! I also don’t really have ticks anymore. I think this summer one of us had 1, and I think I picked 1 off my horse. So they stay, so long as they are doing their job.

I now also have my call ducks. Everyone says they are super noisy :confused: I don’t see it, errr hear it I should say. I want noisier animals, maybe some peas eventually and geese.

I also have coturnix quail of all different colors and am trying my hand at pickling eggs and eventually when I have some extra boys will process and eat them.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

They’re hilarious to watch! I could spend so much time just watching their antics. I have even gotten my FIL hooked! He keeps a rooster flock just so that when I hatch and can’t rehome the extra boys they go to his house. It helps that he hates his neighbors and loves their crowing!

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

None really, I liked my cute little roo Pretzel (my Avy) just because my daughter liked him so much. He was a Sultan. I had another roo named Guacamole that I gave to my neighbor. Pretzel #1 got eaten by a bear, pretzel #2 did as well. Had a cute pair of Belgian D’anvers (King and Button) super cute and friendly King would attack my 80lb GSD.

1079360-ec359ee19bd749ee3f699be14cf6d0ce.jpg 1079362-7a9a2429d14344ba44332fd4cebbb98e.jpg 1079364-be2fc3d955fab55b301406d24dc72908.jpg

I entered my D'Anvers in the fair and won 1st place too:
ribbons.jpg

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

Nothing :confused:

I get pooped on, poop on my shoes, my dog eats their poop.

Someone asked me the other day how baby chicks were made. Like how do the eggs get fertilized? I was like- seriously? They have sex. Don’t you have a child? How did you get fertilized? :hmm

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

Currently I have a registered lippett morgan horse, a german shepherd dog, 2 cats, a husband and a 5yo daughter.

trixie kiss.jpg

7. Anything you'd like to add?

If you have questions I’ll answer them.

Love this site and all the people I have ‘met’ here and the few I have actually had the honor to meet in person.

IMG_2643.jpg
IMG_4153.jpg
IMG_4166.jpg
IMG_4169.jpg
IMG_4247.jpg
IMG_4252.jpg
IMG_4263.jpg
IMG_4268.jpg
IMG_4269.jpg

Forgot to say, I HATE BEARS!!!
400.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/members/dwaynenliz.220854/

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom