BYC Needs Brainstorming HELP: Forum / Category / Section Ideas

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Nifty-Chicken, May 24, 2008.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We've had a few forum / category re-organizations over the past 18 months and I'm really impressed with how things have turned out.

In general, it is good idea to have a forum organized in a way where:

1) It is easy for everyone to find grouped information quickly and easy for members to know where their questions should be posted.

2) Even distribution of topics and posts is a way to know you're organizing things well. If one forum or category has a TON of posts and activity and another has very little, then maybe there need to be some changes made.

One of the best changes we made was to take a topic we had called "General" (which was on the top of the forum) and split it out and move the position.

Well, I think it is time for another adjustment. I usually have this discussion with just the staff, but we've got about 10,800 smart forum members (the rest of you know who you are [​IMG] ) that I'd like to get feedback from.

So, here's the dilemma: We're a bit lopsided with the section: "Me, My Chickens, My Family". This "forum" or section is too diverse and has too many posts, so start your brainstorming engines and help split it into 2 - 4 new sections.

Keep in mind:

1) The goal is equal distribution. If you come up with 2 new sections, they should get about equal number of topics each.

2) List what you would call the new sections and what would go in them. Also list the parent category if you think it shouldn't be in the "social" section.

Okay, get crackin!!!

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Social Area

Me and My Chickens
    Me and My Family

The BST

Swaps
    For Sale
    Wanted to buy

Move the future
    All About The Ducks forum to the top of the forum, yes above "announcements". I mean really. Ducks Rule.

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*No clue on the "Me, Fam, Chx", never thought much was wrong there-- but, as to the "BST" , I think it could use breaking into something like "BST: BIRDS" "BST: EGGS" and "BST: OTHER".

4. kisat

kisat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    No clue about the BST, but I like terrielacy's idea for the categories:

Me and My Chickens
    Me and My Family

Could also throw in another like:

Me and My Other Pets

That way all the other pets have a place next to the chickens since Me and My Family seems more like our 'human' family versus other pets. And who doesn't want obsess over Dogs as well [​IMG]

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I agree with Terrielacy we should have a me and my family, me and my chickens. In the future have a duck forum. Like title it ducks:species, raising, incubating. and possibly game birds like have another forum called gamebirds: species, incubating, raising, release or aviarys. seriously

6. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    What about something along the lines of 'current events and how we are dealing with it/planning for the future' ? I think many of us are looking at the state of the world today and trying to become more self sufficient because of it.

7. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I like terrielacy's idea, but on the BST section, where would a person put the Giveaways? Would it go in with the sell items or would it need a group of it's own. I know that a lot of people give away extra roos.

Dorothy

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Oops forgot that part.
    Yes with a FREE section, too!

9. kisat

kisat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    Oh yeh. I like Sonia's idea. I say just a 'Current Events' would be a good idea. Then, we could discuss, like she said, stuff that is going on and have a specific place for it.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would like to see other poutry sub divided and have waterfowl and gamebirds in two separate subforums.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by