BYC newbie in San Diego

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by adrieliii, Aug 2, 2014.

1. adrieliii

adrieliii New Egg

Jul 13, 2014
    We are Brian and Sharon and are planning to begin producing our own eggs in South San Diego. Hope to learn a lot here from other experience, and love the ideas I have read sofar. Looking for starter coop ideas, something to keep hens and eggs safe from our dogs (small ones, a chiwahwah and mini wiener) and the local critters (opossums, skunks, gophers, and such) and because we are within city limits we unfortunately can not have a rooster (sad because I love to hear them in the morning, country boy at heart lol) I would like to know if hens quit laying in a short time with out one and what if anything I can do to avoid it. Thanks and can't wait to start my education!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful learning center [​IMG]

Wow I have a bunch of roosters who just enjoy crowing all night long and day as well so I feel for the both of ya but stay around and you could learn so much and the learning center is just packed with information .....

If you have questions all you need to do is ask and you will receive an answer ....

California has some great Trends for you to check out local people ....

1 person likes this.
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Brian and Sharon! Glad you decided to join our flock. Mountain Peeps has provided you with some very good links. Actually hens will frequently lay longer and better without a rooster as roosters can tend to be hard on them physically; over-breeding the hens, injuring them with their beaks and spurs, and battering them. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, injuries, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many of them; the recommended ratio is 1 rooster for every 10 hens). As far as protecting the flock, there may be some value in that with the more aggressive game roosters, but among the docile egg layers I have raised over the past 50 years, I haven't seen one rooster that was any good at it. Not only have I lost as many hens free ranging with a rooster as without, but sometimes it was the rooster himself that fell victim to the predator. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens are you planning to use for egg production?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Your hens will lay eggs normally with or without a rooster, no problem.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Michael gave you the straight story - believe him.

It's a shame so many roosters end up in the stew pot(tho many deserve it) or tossed out to fend for themselves because of zoning or HOA restrictions. Many are marked for death at birth if a hatchery sexer discovers them.

I think the only thing that could save them is gender reassignment that allows them to lay eggs. Or at very least a hormone transplant so they would just get broody and hatch eggs - no special gender required for that.

8. ronmauldin

ronmauldin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Welcome from the Ocean State!

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You have gotten some great advice here so I will just welcome you to our flock!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by