BYC newbie, reporting for duty!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by heatherkh, Jul 21, 2011.

1. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Hi all - I'm a BYC forum newbie (but currently participate in other online fora, so I'm familiar with abbreviations, interactions etc.).

I've been a volunteer chicken tender (see what I did there?) for a the past few years at a lovely organic CSA farm called Zenger Farms here in Portland before committing to the responsibility of my own flock. But here I am! Our neighbor's flock was getting over crowded, so he sold us 5 laying hens (4 WL and 1 Auracana) and one handsome and proud WL rooster. I then adopted three "retiring " black Australorps from the farm (approx 2 yo), as the new pullets were being incorporated into the main flock. We lost one of the Australorps about 1.5 weeks after bringing her home. She was, as it turns out, severely egg bound and was apparently that way when we got her. It didn't become apparent to me until her behavior changed due to infection spreading throughout her body. I got her to the avian vet nearby, but it was too late. It was a sad and bitter learning experience for me as a novice chicken keeper.

Anyway, I look forward to learning from you all and becoming a part of the BYC community. There must be more Portland OR people on here - let me know who you are!!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello and [​IMG]

3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Howdy from Texas!

4. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Hello back atcha both and thanks for the welcome. I haven't spent much time in the South, but I have visited both Louisiana (NO and Baton Rouge) and Austin TX. My boyfriend's brother and fam live in Round Rock.

5. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG]

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Happy to meet you from Big Bear Ca. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Quote:I love living in Central Texas, and RR is just far enough away from Austin that I never have to deal with traffic. Can't wait to get out in the country though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by