BYC newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Stephanie Ann, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Stephanie Ann

Stephanie Ann New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    Hi there! I was introduced to chickens about 2 months ago when I was given a one week old EE chick. She was one of 30 chicks, and the sole survivor of what I think was a mink attack [​IMG] So I scooped her up and raised her inside for 5 weeks or so. My boyfriend and I built a mobile coop and she's settled into it nicely.....so nicely that she never goes out into the run....I open the coop door every morning, but have never seen her go down the ramp and outside. The same day I moved her outside, I bought two more chickens.One was chick that was a few days old (RIR/White Leghorn I think) and the other was an approximately 4 week old Cuckoo Maran. My profile picture is of them the night I brought them home. So I've been raising them inside together for about 3 weeks. Two days ago I put the Cuckoo Maran in a separate box away from the RIR/WL and the heat lamp. Shes been at a constant temp of about 60 degrees F since. Tomorrow she will be going outside to live with the EE. The next 3 days are supposed to be near 60 degrees F with nights in the 40s. So I figured thats a great transition time for her since it's a break from the 30 degree days and 20 degree nights we've been having. She's fully feathered now and approximately 7 weeks old. I'm hoping my EE will be comfortable enough to go outside now with her new friend. Safety in numbers, you know? The RIR/WL is staying inside just another week or two until she's fully feathered, and then she'll join the other two. I can't wait to see all three of them together as a little happy family! So I was hoping to get some feedback on my the way I've been raising my young chickens so far, good or bad, and some advice on our weeks/months to come. Any comments are welcome! [​IMG] For reference,I'm in Northwestern NJ, winter is approaching, and word is that it's going to be a cold one.....

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Stephanie Ann, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! Sounds to me like you are doing the introducing the right way. Hope they all get along. Best of luck!!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sounds like you are doing a great job so far!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Stephanie Ann

Stephanie Ann New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks guys!

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Good luck this winter with your new chickens.

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by