Official BYC Poll: What other animals do you have besides chickens?

What other animals do you have besides chickens?

• Total voters
Pics
I am completely hypnotized and in love with your saanens and Lamanchas! I'm such a sucker for goats. Can't imagine having one without horns though. They look amazing!

Thank you. They are beautiful and calm (and so large). They're great on the milk stand. The Lamanchas are not as big (my doe Tatchie is an exception to that, she is very big) but the milk is creamier. I always disbud the babies when the horns are coming through. It's a personal choice with dairy animals that one works so closely with. I've had horns in my herd and they learn how to use them against their herd mates - and get their heads stuck in fences. As with everything, it depends on individual goats and their human caretakers ♥

A long range photo of my two Jersey heifer calves.
C3AC67E0-C53E-4848-9B11-B52504E104AA_1_105_c.jpeg

3 Wiltshire ewe lambs. It sounds like they do very well in our climate which is wet in winter and humid in summer. Traditional wool sheep breeds in New Zealand have a lot of foot problems in the wet, whereas the Wiltshires don't. They shed their own fleece so they'll be easy for us sheep newbies.

What breed/s have you got?
Katahdin hair sheep mixes. They shed their hair too. I have 18 of them, 17 of them are lambs, 2 of the 17 are rams and I plan to breed and sell them next year.
20200826_190556.jpg

The 2 rams:
20200826_190423.jpg

I had a major heart attack today! So proud of my oldest dog who I trained. My Schnauzer. My run door blew open while I was coop cleaning and two of my Orpingtons followed my grass loving lead hen who is a Flower hen out of the run. She just kept an eye on them but did not let them get away from the run nor did she herd them or nip them or harass them in anyway. I didn’t even hear her bark. Normally she would have barked to let me know something was up but I guess she knew not to scare them because I always get on to her when she barks at them even when they were babies inside the house I would scold her if she barked or growled at them and it paid off today. Luckily my daughters dog who is a Shichon and not so well behaved around them was already put away on the porch or she would have caused big trouble with them. She might have hurt or killed them. Definitely chased them. My husband actually looked down and saw the black Orpingtons out around the coop door trying to get back in. They are good girls and don’t like to be separated from the main flock. They are so sweet really. They never want to be away from all their “Sisters”. Poppie the lead is very independent and wanted to eat her grass for once in peace. I actually don’t really blame her but I would have died if something bad happened to them. I’m surprised she let us catch her so easily when my husband nabbed her but she was chomping down on that fresh grass and having a hay day for sure! Chalk one down for the chickens and one for the dog and one for us and calling it even and definitely thanking God for watching over all of us. A Blessing for sure. I would have croaked in the spot if they had gotten away from us and flown off or been seriously hurt. Geez!🙏🙏🙏

I had a major heart attack today! So proud of my oldest dog who I trained. My Schnauzer. My run door blew open while I was coop cleaning and two of my Orpingtons followed my grass loving lead hen who is a Flower hen out of the run. She just kept an eye on them but did not let them get away from the run nor did she herd them or nip them or harass them in anyway. I didn’t even hear her bark. Normally she would have barked to let me know something was up but I guess she knew not to scare them because I always get on to her when she barks at them even when they were babies inside the house I would scold her if she barked or growled at them and it paid off today. Luckily my daughters dog who is a Shichon and not so well behaved around them was already put away on the porch or she would have caused big trouble with them. She might have hurt or killed them. Definitely chased them. My husband actually looked down and saw the black Orpingtons out around the coop door trying to get back in. They are good girls and don’t like to be separated from the main flock. They are so sweet really. They never want to be away from all their “Sisters”. Poppie the lead is very independent and wanted to eat her grass for once in peace. I actually don’t really blame her but I would have died if something bad happened to them. I’m surprised she let us catch her so easily when my husband nabbed her but she was chomping down on that fresh grass and having a hay day for sure! Chalk one down for the chickens and one for the dog and one for us and calling it even and definitely thanking God for watching over all of us. A Blessing for sure. I would have croaked in the spot if they had gotten away from us and flown off or been seriously hurt. Geez!🙏🙏🙏

What a smart and well behaved girl your Schnauzer is. Your chickens have a guardian in her. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom