Official BYC Poll: What other animals do you have besides chickens?

What other animals do you have besides chickens?

• Total voters
Didn't see hedgehog

Attachments

• 2018-09-02.jpg
    2018-09-02.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 6
Iā€™ve got a Calamity Jane too! Chicken

Syn couldnā€™t eat by herself when I got her so I fed her fresh salmon and organs and other healthy things until she was able to eat on her own, Iā€™ve been pecking in the dirt and leaves with her since I got her so sheā€™d be able to forage on her own. She still sneaks in the chicken house when theyā€™re out to steal food and steals from the dog once and a while. Iā€™ve got lots of fruit trees and garden that she always gets into.
I think that is awesome that you teach her that way and that she learns from you that way. Many people wouldnā€™t take the time. They would say ahh it is just a chicken. Not worth the effort. I say they are all worth the effort and more. I couldnā€™t live with myself if one of them had gotten away from me and gotten hurt or neglected or lost because of carelessness on my part today. I was actually cleaning them roost boards off which I do daily because I canā€™t stand for them to roost and sleep in poop. I had a late afternoon dental appointment and I knew I probably wouldnā€™t make it home before close to dark and I do have some light in the coop but not much. So I wanted to get that chore completed prior to going so that I would have it done just in case if I decided to run some other errands that hubby or my daughter could lock them up with me knowing they could sleep in a poop free roost. Iā€™m a little OCD also. So I had my mind on that and not so much on how hard the wind was blowing. Well it really blew the run door open wide because itā€™s a heavy door and it would have to have been open pretty good for a bit for three skid-dish of sorts grass seeking for sure really fluffy butted Orpingtons and one in contrast take charge and but no less impressive cuter Super powered extra nosy Swedish Flowered Hen Miss Poppie Mae! The leader of my flock and the queen of all grass eating chickens on our hill. She was the first one to fly out of all nine chickens. When we got the delivery of them from the Hatchery and opened the box at home she came hopping out of the box first and she was the first one to eat and drink for us. She just hopped and jumped everywhere. She has always been the leader. She is the first one in the coop at night. The first one on the roost and the first one out of the coop in the mornings. She is also the protector of Mama - thatā€™s me. She protects Mama from the bad behavior of any of the other chickens if she sees it. They are not allowed to bite me in her presence in a bad behavior situation like hand feeding. One of her true sisters - another Flower hen who used to absolutely love coming to me for petting or holding no matter what ever the scenario- anyway I was hand feeding my entire flock in two different occasions namely Poppie and Verbena (Meana-Verbena) I was feeding them side by side meal worms actually once and the other was sweet peas very cold ones. It was very very hot that day and I was trying to bring their temp down with the peas being cold. Maybe they were too hot. Donā€™t know. However, she bit me out of the blue and drew blood on the top of my hand big time and right away Poppie grabbed her head and held her down to the ground for over a minute and didnā€™t let her up. Then she bit her again and held her down. She meant serious business. Then the second time the same situation basically except it took place in the evening time and Poppie was actually in weaker shape from heat impact but she still disciplined her just the same as before and she did not hold back at all. It took a lot out of Poppie to do it. She had not been well for about 7!days due to the severe heat we had. I love this chicken. Meana Verbena May end up culled as much as I hate it. I thought she was getting better. It had been about a month. I had tried not hand feeding her and not attempting to pet her to see if she would improve but she still tries to go after our dogs through the run hardware cloth for no reason if she thinks she can get even remotely close to them. They know what she is trying to do and donā€™t give her the time of day though. See my dogs have been disciplined and trained not to tough them but the chickens have not been the other way around as it should be. However, she is like a bulldog. She is as good for the flock on that point as a watchdog the Orpingtons can be too. They just arenā€™t as mean but they have been known to be. They know that my older dog is not going to harm them and that the puppy is a danger to them- and people think chickens are dumb. Heck no they are not. My chickens were raised in my house right along with these dogs. They know their names and the dogs names. They know which dog is which and they are white dogs about three pounds difference. They know them apart though. Today proves it when they were lose together the few of them and there was no fiasco. I am still thinking about it and my mouth is hanging open part of the time. It could have gone so badly for the chickens and me. I just thank God that the girls werenā€™t harmed by the dogs or also that one of the six peregrine falcons that have been nesting close by and hunting daily did not make an appearance and nab either one. We have been having to supervise the dogs not the chickens on their potty breaks in the yard because they are hunting so low. They swooped not 20 feet over head between our run and house on Sunday while my Husband was out with our new puppy on potty training excursion. Good thing this is a protected bird or it might be a dead bird. She is a beautiful girl. Larger than average. Over 4lbs. Larger than avg wing span also. They are not native or natural Ah not good terminology but they are not normally found in MS at all. They will pass through. Not really even on their normal migration patterns but what research I was able to find said that upper Mississippi River areas where it is really cold in very cold winters they have been known to go farther North along the River and then follow it down for hunting patterns following migratory sea birds and the snow melt? But I donā€™t know why this pair has settled in Northeast MS where there is no snow and not close to any MS River or any melting snow pack from any major rivers not even the MS or Tennessee River has that as far down where we are and these birds have been stationary for the last three years or more. A neighbor has been monitoring them in our neighborhood. I have this year alone. They are large birds and scary for chicken and small dog owners. Any thoughts????

I have typed and typed. Whomever has been kind enough to read this entire post. ...you are so very kind and generouse did your time. Thank you. Sincerely Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom