Status
Not open for further replies.

PurpleChicken

Rest in Peace 1970-2018
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
Iceland
Hi All My Chicken Buddies,

In the next few months we are all going to be bombarded by political cr*p.

Most of us have very strong opinions on the current "state of affairs".

BYC is an escape for me into a world of chickens and great friends, all of different
political and religeous beliefs.

The media and both parties(Dems and Repubs) are gonna try and polarize us. We cannot
let them succeed, disrupt our lives, or damage the culture here at BYC.

There may even be a few members who throw "gas on the fire".

We need to be vigilent not to let this cr*p damage the community many of us have
worked so hard to build.

I don't have the authority to say "keep politics out" but I can politely ask everyone
to keep it civil.

Respectful discussions about particular issues should work fine here. As soon as
people start slinging the "other stuff" we will all suffer for it.

You are all my friends, no matter what your politics. Heck, some of you aren't even
from this country. You must be laughing hard right now.
wink.png

Your Friend,
Don

Last edited:
Yay Don! I agree completely. I don't even read the political threads because I don't want some of the garbage that comes out of people's mouths to sway the way I think about them. :eek: I like my fellow BYC members, and don't care to know what they think about gun control or abortion. I don't care to mix chicken talk with the presidental hoopla that is going on.
big_smile.png
JMO
roll.png

In the name of friendship and "good vibes," I'll keep my nose (and opinion) out of political discussions here from now on, although I've participated in the past.

I value my friends and the community here too much to contribute to anything potentially divisive.

I second that Cyn and PC. I did get in on the one discussion, because I can't stand people thriving on others dirty laundry, so to speak. Politics usually are one thing I try not to discuss and do promise to try and stay away from for now on here on BYC!

You know, opinions are like tail-holes. Everyone has one! I promise to do my best to keep mine to myself. (Opinion that is!)
wink.png

Last edited:
I agree 100%.

BYC is a forum dedicated to chickens not politics.

If you read the BYC Forum Rules and take note -

3. No Flaming (verbally attacking people or groups of people - e.g. a profession, an organization, a company.)
4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntary, so please be considerate when posting.
5. No teasing, mocking, ridiculing, or otherwise making fun at other member's expense.
6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.
7. No Fighting. Taking a personal conflict to the forum is unacceptable. "I'm right, you're wrong" threads and posts will be edited or deleted.

Political threads generally do incite, mock, tease, flame, and result in fighting.

Under those condition the moderating state will have no choice but to close and/or remove the threads.

* It is at our sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse or remove any users or content from the site​

wink.png
I think quite a lot of teasing goes on here.

I think that people can mention that they disagree with a position or don't support a candidate without being ugly...I've seen that happen here. There are many levels of political discourse and even very vigorous disagreement can remain civil if everyone agrees that a higher level of discourse is what everyone wants.

So many topics are discussed here that do not involve chickens. I think -- I know this may enrage some people! -- that it's quite possible that politics are even more important to our daily lives than our chickens. I think it would be sad if it were banned as a topic.

Perhaps if we agree to take a deep breath, read with patience and not rush to add a "tone of voice" that may not even be present, and then respond thoughtfully (if at all), we might all survive until after election day.

And is closing/removing threads really the only possible response to mocking, unfriendly teasing, flaming and fighting (which, I think, we can all agree is highly unusual here)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom